🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Grandparent going into home (keeping savings)

Options
Hi,

I am writing this on behalf of my mother. My grandmother has been in hospital for a while deterating, however she some how has done a 180 and doctors are now talking about when she may come out (although this will still be a few months). But that she most likley will have to go into a care home.

She doesent own her home, it was bought by her daughter and stays rent free. Although she does have £28000 roughly in savings. I know that the goverment are in some way going to take some/all of this if she does come out and into a home.

Is there anything my mum can do to keep some or all of this?

Obvisouly grandmas care comes first above money, but my mother is worrying all the money is going to disappear and she will be upset.

Thanks in advance

Craig

Comments

• lika_86
    lika_86 Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The money won't 'disappear' it will pay for your grandmother's care.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why will your mum be upset about someone else's money disappearing?
  • Craig_Donny
    Options
    As i said, her care comes first. Asking for advice thats all. If nothing can be done it cant.

People ask for tax advice etc too save money. Thats all im asking.
  • Brecon_Beacons
    Options
    When was the house sold by your grandmother, to her daughter? And for how much? It wasn't for the £28k you say she has in savings, was it? On the understanding that she can stay "rent free"?
    And is the daughter you say she sold it to, your mother?

This sounds quite a lot like a deprivation of assets issue. Local authorities aren't stupid, you know. They employ people full time to track down families that think they can hang on to savings and capital assets, whilst all the while protesting that the council needs to pay for the care home.

Apologies if that's not the way it is - but is sure sounds like it.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 33,057 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 January 2018 at 7:32PM
    Options
    There is a sliding scale below which she does not need to pay. The figures are in here. In the meantime look into attendance allowance for when she leaves hospital.

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/care/care-homes/paying-for-a-care-home/

Edited to add: the government aren't taking it: she is using it to pay towards her care needs. Not the same thing.
    If she has nursing needs she could request a CHC assessment but it's too early for that at the moment if she's likely to be in hospital for some months more.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AgeUK have a lot of good information about paying for care.

Check the levels for when she will be self-funding and then just paying a contribution.
  • BorisThomson
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As i said, her care comes first. Asking for advice thats all. If nothing can be done it cant.

People ask for tax advice etc too save money. Thats all im asking.

People don't generally ask for advice on saving someone else's money in the hope they can get their hands on it.

Who are you suggesting pays for your grandma's care?
  • Craig_Donny
    Options
    When was the house sold by your grandmother, to her daughter? And for how much? It wasn't for the £28k you say she has in savings, was it? On the understanding that she can stay "rent free"?
    And is the daughter you say she sold it to, your mother?

This sounds quite a lot like a deprivation of assets issue. Local authorities aren't stupid, you know. They employ people full time to track down families that think they can hang on to savings and capital assets, whilst all the while protesting that the council needs to pay for the care home.

Apologies if that's not the way it is - but is sure sounds like it.

No nothing like that, sorry my explanition is poor. She sold her house in about 2003, but not for very much. She couldnt afford anything she wanted or that was sutable. So my Auntie bought her a property to live in, no money was put in by my grandmother. And the savings are from selling her house orginally and pensions.

As ive said, i dont want this coming across as me being a nasty person. I have been travelling 40 miles a day for the past 2 months so me and my mother can see her in hospital and this was just a thought i had that could help. Nothing else. Nothing untoward.
  • Craig_Donny
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    AgeUK have a lot of good information about paying for care.

Check the levels for when she will be self-funding and then just paying a contribution.

Thanks ill check it out!
  • BorisThomson
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There's no need for offensive private messages Craig. What would your grandmother say if she knew you were speaking to people like that?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport