Ceiling water damage

Options
jamlan01
jamlan01 Posts: 6 Forumite
I'm considering buying a two bed bungalow property that appears to have had water damage in the reception.
I would like to know if I should steer clear of the property, or if it's likely something that can be sorted easily and cheaply. The property was vacant when I viewed and the area appeared to be dry.

I've been told the damage was caused by a cold water tank in the attic.
imgur.com/a/28cHV

I'm contemplating getting a plumber in to confirm estimates.
A cold water tank + fixing any attached pipes can't cost much can it?
Replastering a ceiling also seems fairly inexpensive.

If anyone has any experience with similar issues or can offer any advice, I would be grateful.
Can anyone give a ballpark estimate to fix something like this?

Comments

• Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You should check how long it was leaking for as the water could have spread into the walls, down the electrical conduits etc.

A surveyor with a damp meter (but not a damp surveying firm!).

The repair job itself is easy enough and you'd get rid of that nasty ceiling paper, but I would seriously consider switching to a pressurised hot water system if there is other work to be done on the plumbing/heating rather than put back an antiquated system.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • jamlan01
    jamlan01 Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 31 January 2018 at 8:35PM
    Options
    Okay, so after a bit of self educating, it seems that this cold tanks purpose was to provide cold water at the same pressure as the hot water from the hot water tank, but current day newer houses tend to both come from the mains via combi boiler.

If I can verify this cold water tank is the cause of the damage, and the surveyor can confirm the wall damage isn't severe, I should be able to get the cold tank removed and replace the plumbing with a more modern system? and then plaster the damaged ceiling?

Is there anything the survey could come back with that I should not make the purchase for?
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Options
    jamlan01 wrote: »
    Is there anything the survey could come back with that I should not make the purchase for?

Plenty of things that could put you off totally unrelated to what you see with the collapsed ceiling.

Everything is repairable but if you start having to put a new roof on, remove asbestos, new heating, hot water, kitchen and bathroom, then the asking price comes into question since the house will have a limit to what it’s worth all done.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • LUHG1878
    LUHG1878 Posts: 108 Forumite
    Options
    The repair job itself is easy enough and you'd get rid of that nasty ceiling paper, but I would seriously consider switching to a pressurised hot water system if there is other work to be done on the plumbing/heating rather than put back an antiquated system.

That depends on what the issue is.

If the ceiling was wet for a prolonged period, could be the case if the bungalow was vacant for a while, then the joists would also have been wet. I would recommend getting the joists in that area checked, as we had to replace/repair joists in our bungalow that had partially rotted due to water ingress, and it was neither easy or cheap.

In addition, how old is the property?

I only ask because, another consequence we had to deal with, water must have been running down the wall as well, and the window lintel was wooden and also needed replaced. (ours is a 1920's bungalow)

I'm not saying this to put you off, it may have been a small leak for a short time, and it could very well be an easy and cheap fix, but best to get it all thoroughly checked now before you commit.
  • jamlan01
    Options
    I believe the bungalow was built in the 1970s, so not quite as old but there are some very obvious signs of neglect.

I have just booked a homebuyers report, requesting they use a damp meter and check the walls, attic for source of water and joists for rot.

Fingers crossed it comes back with not serious. I can't wait to get on the housing ladder and be done with the stress of buying.
  • jamlan01
    Options
    My surveyors have said that their surveyor may choose to not enter the property and that they are suggesting a dampness and timber report prior to their homebuyer report (I assume to cover themselves and their reputation)
    A surveyor with a damp meter (but not a damp surveying firm!).

Why is the damp surveying firm not recommended?
  • LUHG1878
    LUHG1878 Posts: 108 Forumite
    Options
    Search for "The Damp Industry Con" on you tube, by Peter Ward, who also has many other clips on the subject.

it's in a damp surveying firms interest to find something, whether it exists or not.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    LUHG1878 wrote: »
    it's in a damp surveying firms interest to find something, whether it exists or not.

In addition they will charge a fortune for the work, and the mortgage Co. will want to see it done to "protect" their investment (if they see the report).
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure