Options after policy cancellation

Options
joshua2018
joshua2018 Posts: 4 Newbie
edited 31 January 2018 at 5:10PM in Insurance & life assurance
Hi, I recently had not one but 2 policies cancelled. Home and Car. This happened because of a claim i made against home policy which got rejected as insurance company suggested some previous disclosure i did not make regarding the house. It seems to be a miss but i definitely did not declare.The icing on the cake was when my car insurance came for renewal they issued me a 7 day notice and cancelled it too. This was a shocker. I am now moving forward rather than wasting time running to Ombudsman or complaints as it is my fault although didn't understand the car cancellation. I however noticed that my choices are very limited as only one or 2 provider is offering me insurance. I would have thought that only the home insurance should have an issue but almost every insurance has previous cancelled insurance declaration which shows only one or 2 choices.

I want to understand if this situation will continue forever as the tick does not state number of years but just if you had previous insurance cancelled. Can i go back and negotiate with my original insurance company or will i be able to get normal insurance after 5 years or so ?

What are my choices? which insurance companies will touch me with a barge pole?

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You need to get an insurance broker to help.
  • joshua2018
    joshua2018 Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 31 January 2018 at 6:14PM
    Options
    Any recommendations BoGoF? Interesting Nick, Buy One get one free :-)
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    joshua2018 wrote: »
    .....I want to understand if this situation will continue forever as the tick does not state number of years but just if you had previous insurance cancelled. Can i go back and negotiate with my original insurance company or will i be able to get normal insurance after 5 years or so ?

What are my choices? which insurance companies will touch me with a barge pole?
    Cancelled policies on your record are bad news and most insurers do ask if the policyholder or anyone to be covered by the policy has "ever" had any policies cancelled.

See if a local broker (not Swinton) can help find sympathetic insurers - though with 2 to disclose for evermore be prepared for the possibility of high premiums

You say you aren't going to fight but as this does remain for ever on your record if you have any grounds to complain you have been treated unfairly you have nothing to lose by trying to get the cancellations reversed
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Are you a named driver on anyone elses policy? Remove your name before they have issues, if you have not notified them of the cancelled policies.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• joshua2018
    Options
    Thanks Forgot My Name, I forgot the car policy is multi car so bad news for my partner. It is getting interesting. I may complaint to the company and see if they can do something. Not sure how to smooth talk them into it.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Your partner needs to sort the multicar policy urgently - any claim could be rejected if your cancellations haven't been disclosed and you are named driver on that policy (a claim from a third party would be dealt with but the insurer could then come after your partner to reimburse them if they decide to void the policy due to non disclosure

Same issue to be sorted with any home insurance for a property where you or your property is being covered
  • joshua2018
    Options
    Not sure why the insurance company had to cancel the policies, they could have just rejected the claim. Guess, they did this on purpose. :-(
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    joshua2018 wrote: »
    Not sure why the insurance company had to cancel the policies, they could have just rejected the claim. Guess, they did this on purpose. :-(

Probably because they wouldn’t have accepted you had they known the truth from the outset.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure