Help with Life Insurance

I have been looking for some life insurance in the UK. I sent this query in to the MSE team, but thought it might be worth throwing out to the forum too.

I have found this advise from the main Money Saving Expert site: moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/cheap-life-insurance

The article gives a great breakdown of what to look for in an insurance policy and a few examples of how much it will cost and who to use.

My experience is that there isnt much difference between insurance brokers, but I did find this site saveandinsure.com which isnt listed on MSE.

I ran a quote as they said they where offering to return 42% of the commission. It comes in at 10p cheaper per month than the cheapest option on MSE. Not a lot, but would add up over 20years.

They seem to use a similar interface to produce the quotes and have the same insurers. Plus you go through to the insurer's site to complete the application, so it seems to be the real deal.

So the question is, why arent these guys considered the cheapest on the market? Am I missing something here? Obviously you dont know if life insurance works out, sadly as youre not around - so I really dont want to mess this up.

Any advice?

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    They may be the cheapest on the market for you!

Everyone gets quotes tailored to their circs, so different insurers can be the cheapest depending on how you are rated in relation to your circumstances
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have found this advise from the main Money Saving Expert site: moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/cheap-life-insurance

Advice has a regulatory meaning. MSE is not authorised to give advice. It writes articles that provide information. However, it is not to the level required that will suit everyone.
    My experience is that there isnt much difference between insurance brokers, but I did find this site saveandinsure.com which isnt listed on MSE.

I had this discussion with Martin in the past and he said in the past that MSE cannot consider naming companies that cannot handle the volumes of business that a mention on MSE can generate. i.e. a lot of small local firms can be cheaper or offer better service but they cannot handle large volumes.
    I ran a quote as they said they where offering to return 42% of the commission. It comes in at 10p cheaper per month than the cheapest option on MSE. Not a lot, but would add up over 20years.

That is one particular model. There are thousands of firms out there doing the same or similar thing.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure