Any views on this savings offer?

We have a fairly hefty lump of capital coming out mid june. Birmingham Midshires are offering "50-50", which is half of your capital earns 7.5% for 12 months, the other half earns 90% of the FTSE index performance over 5 years. Money in FTSE must stay in - no access, but Guaranteed capital back. Is the 50% in the FTSE worth doing for the 12 months at 7.5%? Any views or advice?
Bazcop

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    If you ask: 'Any views on the FTSE performance during next 5 years?', I would not take a risk of giving advice. Anybody? This is like a gamble.

If you have not read 'Beat stockmarket returns at no risk' article and discussion I think this could be of interest to you.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    interest in not to do them... ;)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Bazcop
    Bazcop Posts: 2 Newbie
    grumbler wrote:
    If you ask: 'Any views on the FTSE performance during next 5 years?', I would not take a risk of giving advice. Anybody? This is like a gamble.

If you have not read 'Beat stockmarket returns at no risk' article and discussion I think this could be of interest to you.

Many thanks Grumbler for taking time out to reply. I have read the advised article - interesting. I think I will start a search for a good steady investment and leave the 50-50 alone. Thank you also to Dunstonh - I agree!
    Bazcop
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport