Outlook/Hotmail: how to stop auto-complete in "To"

Hi,

Please does anyone know how to stop Hotmail/Outlook from auto-completing the "To" field in an email. E.g. when you start typing the first letter or few letters it auto-completes an email address that you may not have as a contact but just happen to have received an email from before.

I found a Microsoft Office link about this (see below) - but none of the suggestions work.

Only suggestion I can find is to start typing a letter, wait for the suggested option to appear and then "X" it to close/cancel. Spent ages doing this for every single email address - it worked whilst I was logged in but as soon as I logged out and in again they were all back.

The link suggests an ability to permanently turn this off by selecting "File, Options, Mail" and "clear the Use Auto-Complete List to suggest names when typing in the To, Cc, and Bcc lines check box" - but I don't even have a "File, Options, Mail" option in my hotmail/outlook.

There is such a risk of accidentally sending an email to someone you don't mean to, so I'd like to permanently disable this feature.

Grateful if anyone knows how to do this.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport