My journey to a debt free life

Options

Comments

• Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 23 July 2018 at 3:52PM
    Options
    The package I was waiting for arrived by 10.30 so I was able to go shopping earlier,I'm all stocked up until Friday which is payday,it was lovely to get up to a nice tidy house this morning,I'm making my DD and her boyfriend sound terrible when they are lovely really but DDs boyfriend is just really untidy,he likes hiking and there is always hiking stuff all over the place,he does tidy up intermittently but not as well as I like it,maybe I just need to chill out a bit:D
    I will miss him when he goes to uni becasue he is good company and we get on really well

Today Im supposed to be tidying my bedroom but I haven't got round to it yet as it's so hot here today and I just feel like lazing around, I might do it this evening when it's cooler,I love hot weather but as I've got older I can't stand it so well,it's ok if I'm just strolling around in it but doing any actual work is too much,I haven't even sat in the garden because my garden gets full sun all day and I get too hot,it's lovely in the evening becasue the sun is shining through the trees so a dappled shade,despite that I am really enjoying our lovey summer,it's so nice to be able to go out without an umbrella and coat etc

A job I wanted to do today was to clean out the chickens,I noticed last night that they are roosting in the run and not the house,this could be because it's too hot in there or more likely I have a case of the dreaded red mite,they absolutely love hot weather so the house needs treating,luckily it's plastic so really easy to clean,I can't do them today however because I forgot to buy sawdust:(so it will have to wait until tomorrow or Wednesday now,they will be ok roosting in the run for a day or two seeing as it's so warm but that is a priority job this week

I have DGS tomorrow but I'm not sure where yet,unfortunately my SILs grandmum died last week and it's the funeral tomorrow,it's in Basingstoke so they have to get up there,I think it's about 3 hours away from us,I think they are dropping DGS off in the morning and then I'm going to take him back to their house for tea time and bed then stay there the night in case they don't get back until late,it means taking the dog with me as well so will be a bit of a pain but can't be helped
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Phew,that was a busy day,I spent a lovely day with DGS and got him home in time for tea and bed,I didn't have to stay over in the end because his mum and dad got back by 7.30,I got home and straight into a cool shower because I was sooooo hot it's been a scorcher here today
    I'm going to mums tomorrow morning so my niece can cut my hair,it's long overdue and it's getting on my nerves now,it's still short but not short enough for me
    When I get back I am definitely cleaning out the chickens,I couldn't do it today because of DGS being here but I will have loads of time tomorrow afternoon so that is priority jobnumber one for tomorrow then I'm going to sort my bedroom because I still haven't done that either........I'm blaming the weather:rotfl:
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Another scorching day today and I officially got too hot,I love hot weather but today finished me off,I had an overwhelming urge to get on a train down to the beach and jump in the sea:eek: I didn't have time for that though so had to make do with a cornetto to cool me down:D

I finally had my hair cut today and it feels sooooo nice to have short hair again,I also got round to doing the deep clean of the chickens so they are happy now and I cleaned and tidied my bedroom at last,I've been trying to do it for ages but have been too tired but it's done now and looks lovely,I was supposed to wash the kitchen window today but that's been shoved over to tomorrow now as didn't get time today

Im off to bed now and hopefully will sleep well :)
  • Onebrokelady
    edited 26 July 2018 at 5:27PM
    Options
    I've had a vey productive day today, the house has been cleaned and the kitchen window has been washed at last,I've done three loads of washing got one load dry so far one to bring in in a bit and one to go out,the dry load has been ironed already and put away

It helped that I got a good nights sleep last night so I woke up early for me this morning,I was out of bed by 8.30 which is unheard of on a day off/holiday
    I had a clear out of some cards in my purse this week and there were two Next gift cards in there that were left over from Xmas , I have been after some new sandals to go with the dress I got for DGS naming day on Sunday so I went to my local Next store and there was £14 on the cards meaningnthe sandals I have been eying up only cost me £11 instead of £25 :T

I'm off out tonight for a meal with a friend,we usually try and meet for coffee but we have both been busy during the day all week so she suggested going to eat at a local pub instead,it will make a nice change to go out in the evening,the pub we go to always has really good deals on the menu so it will be a cheap night too and I think I might wear my new sandals :D

Tomorrow is DGS first birthday and I can't believe a whole year has gone by since he arrived,unfortunately his Dad is snowed under with work so can't take the day off to do anything so DD is picking me up and we are taking him to the Marine Aquarium, he has been before a few months ago and was fascinated by the sealife there, then on Sunday he is having a party which is also part of his naming ceremony,Im not sure what the naming ceremony involves but I will find out when I see DD tomorrow
    Right I had better go and sort out the next lot of washing to go out,I'm leaving it out overnight and hoping it doesn't rain for the first time in weeks :rotfl:
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Just nipped in to say I have been busy so haven't posted for a couple of days,I will update tomorrow on the financial disaster that happened on Friday when I went out for DGS birthday,I messed my budget up good and proper and I'm really annoyed with myself but it's too late now so I just need to go with it and make sure it doesn't happen again
    I'm off to bed now becasue I'm shattered and I have to get up early tomorrow for DGS
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,084 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Sorry to hear you had a disaster! :( Remember losing a battle isn't losing the whole war, though. I'm sure you'll get back to where you were and past there in the no-too-distant future.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Onebrokelady
    edited 31 July 2018 at 9:34PM
    Options
    I am officially shattered,I had DGS today and he didn't nap properly so was a very grumpy baby this afternoon, I was sooooo relieved when his mum came and picked him up :j

So Fridays day out ended up costing me over £50 :eek::eek::eek: there was
    Train fare £7.50
    Coffee at the station because we had to wait for the train£4.50
    Admission costs= a rip off= £12.95 for something that took us an hour and a half to walk round
    Lunch for two adults and a baby £20
    A pressy for the baby from the gift shop £6.99
    Peanut Brittle from the gift shop that was bought on a whim and not price checked= £3.99 for a 175g bag which was tiny

This is what I do,I plan to go out for the day and I worry I will be caught out without enough money so I draw out extra not intending to spend it and I always spend it,I could have saved myself £25 by not spending money on a needless pressy and peanut brittle which wasn't even very nice,plus share the cost of lunch with my DD who never ends up paying and who didn't even have to pay to get in because they have a season ticket

I had also been out for a meal the night before and spent £20 which was cheap but I could have done without it,plus the £11 I spent towards the new sandals I got on Thursday to wear to DGS naming day,so over £80 in two days,I haven't done this for months but totally went off the rails last week and I'm so cross with myself,I'm not going to be able to put any money away this month now and that is very annoying,still I am determined not to do it again:(

In other news my new reduced hours start next week,I have to sit down with my matron to work out which shifts I'm going to shorten because our rotas have already been done up until the middle of September
    I'm already regretting saying I would try it because I just don't think I will be able to manage on the money,I got my pay rise this week and it equates to a paltry £45 a month, just my bus pass on it's own costs me £48 that's just to get to work in the first place,they have also reduced our unsocial hours payments and increased our pension contributions so not much of a rise in the end, I know I will pay less tax and NI but it's still going to be tight,I won't know for a couple of months how much I lose but I suspect I'm going to have to reduce my DMP payment accordingly
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,127 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    OBL - Oh you know, I see so much of myself, how I used to be, in your post. I especially 'get' the thing about taking out extra cash just in case.....& of course spending it on stuff I didn't need. You are now at the 'beating yourself up' stage.....don't spend too long on that, just learn from it & move on. Remember how cross you're feeling now & that should help you avoid a similar outcome another time. Going halves on lunch could be a goal for next time.....lunches out are such a budget killer, aren't they? Anyway, draw a line under it now. Tomorrow is another day as Scarlet O'Hara said x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,855 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Maybe suggest that DD treats you to lunch when you go out in return for looking after DGS? Mind you if she's anything like my friends DDs that would be met with raised eyebrows and 'But you LIKE looking after him... I thought I was doing YOU the favour!' :rotfl:
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    foxgloves wrote: »
    OBL - Oh you know, I see so much of myself, how I used to be, in your post. I especially 'get' the thing about taking out extra cash just in case.....& of course spending it on stuff I didn't need. You are now at the 'beating yourself up' stage.....don't spend too long on that, just learn from it & move on. Remember how cross you're feeling now & that should help you avoid a similar outcome another time. Going halves on lunch could be a goal for next time.....lunches out are such a budget killer, aren't they? Anyway, draw a line under it now. Tomorrow is another day as Scarlet O'Hara said x
    It's so annoying because I know I do this and had stopped doing it,I think I'm just having a mini rebellion against having to budget. I'm taking your advice and drawing a very thick line under it and moving swiftly on
    I'm going out again on Saturday with my DD to a flower show where my SIL is designing and showing a garden,I have to pay to get in but apart from that I am takng £10 for food,I might take a packed lunch yet but I know realistically I am likely to eat a packed lunch and then go and buy food as well,I suppose I could just take sandwhiches and then just have coffee and a cake there
    I will have a think about it
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback