Childcare Voucher scheme - should I enrol?

Options
Tigsteroonie
Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
edited 30 January 2018 at 10:44PM in Benefits & tax credits
Reading up today about the forthcoming changes from the current Childcare Voucher scheme to the Tax-Free Childcare scheme. We've only the one child, one parent doesn't work, my employer does offer the vouchers through salary sacrifice.

At the moment we have no need for childcare vouchers, but it is conceivable that at some point in the next 8 years, we might pay for some childcare during school holidays.

I gather that if I am not 'in the scheme' by the end of the FY, then I cannot access the old scheme. So my questions are:
  • Should I join the scheme and purchase one "nominal" low-value voucher, that may not get used in the next eight years, simply to keep our options open for the future?
  • Do I have to nominate a childcare provider at this stage, does anybody know? Obviously I wouldn't know who that might be, if I'm not spending it for a few years! Found the answer to this, no I don't need to nominate yet.

Thank you MSE experts!

eta. So the basic question is, would it be worth me opening a Childcare Vouchers account so as to retain the option to access the better deal in future?
:heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport