Help advice please

Options
Not sure what forum to put this but here goes. Theresa Morris
I’m currently in a 4 bed council house (me, 2 daughters 9 and 15 and 2 sons 3 and 17 almost 18). 3 year old sleeps in my room as he has learning disabilities and behaviour problems and won’t sleep without me.
I have found and exchange (so I can be closer to Family in different county) to a 3 bed house however council are saying I’d be overcrowded As youngest son should be in his own room.... this is fine as I’ve explained to them my oldest son won’t be moving with me as he’s 18 on 1st March and receives a large sum of money on that day (compo from an injury) and will be private renting.
Once the Papers are done and we move (around feb 20th) my eldest son will be moving in with his grandad until he gets his money through and gets his own place.
The problem I have is.... what happens if him and his grandad don’t get along (they’ve never lived together before and not particularly close) and he is unable to private rent as easy as he thinks.... although he will have a large sum of money it’s not an actual income. He’s just finished his second year at college and is hoping to find work but what is his plans arent as straight forward as he hopes and his grandad doesn’t want him there long term, what will happen?
I assume he won’t be allowed to come back to me as the council will say I’m over crowded now that I’ll be in a 3 bed house so now I’m worried if I should risk it. Advice please

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A 3 bed wont be overcrowded until he's 18 though, is my understanding?
  • miriamac
    miriamac Posts: 2,175 Forumite
    Options
    How is it overcrowded? You in one room, two girls in another, two boys in the third.
    What would Buzz do?

I used to be Snow White - but I drifted.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Hi

Just a thought but it might be an idea to remove any personal identifying details
  • mumto31980
    Options
    Because 3rd room is single and they only allow 1 person in it
  • mumto31980
    Options
    Only allowed 1 person in 3rd bedroom as it’s single room so 2 boys not allowed
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Options
    mumto31980 wrote: »
    Only allowed 1 person in 3rd bedroom as it’s single room so 2 boys not allowed
    Living rooms count towards the overcrowding limit, so it cant be that.
  • Lizabeth21
    Options
    Can the one person in single room be you? Two double bedrooms for two plus two children?
  • miriamac
    miriamac Posts: 2,175 Forumite
    Options
    mumto31980 wrote: »
    Because 3rd room is single and they only allow 1 person in it
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Living rooms count towards the overcrowding limit, so it cant be that.
    Lizabeth21 wrote: »
    Can the one person in single room be you? Two double bedrooms for two plus two children?

Exactly. One person (you) in the single room. Two people in each of the double rooms. The living room hasn't even been counted yet.
    What would Buzz do?

I used to be Snow White - but I drifted.
  • mumto31980
    Options
    No the council said their rules are my eldest needs his own room as he’s over 16, every council is different I’m told. Every person over 16 needs their own room so that counts for 2 of us that leaves the 2 girls and 1 boy so another 2 rooms. Council won’t consider lounge as a room, they have made it clear I can’t move with all 5 of us as under their rules I’m classed as overcrowded.
  • mumto31980
    Options
    What I need to know is if I accept the house with only 4 of us moving and a few months down the line things don’t work out the way my son hopes...can I still let him back to live with me even though they will say it’s overcrowded or can they refuse him coming back? I’m scared to risk it in case he can’t move back and needs to but at the same time I really need to move back to my home area and this is the first chance I’ve had in the 3 years I’ve been trying
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure