Cutting Down Alcohol Thread

Options

Comments

• sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,057 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Not quite infinite wanna bee free its a large show biz monkey family (think similar to the Jacksons or the Nolans )who I managed to engage for the month to dance for our very special group of people. (and you think you are losing it :D:D)

I think we have all gone completely ga-ga but at least we can't blame it on the drink :rotfl:

10/14 for today please Baileys
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sukeyboo wrote: »
    I think we have all gone completely ga-ga but at least we can't blame it on the drink :rotfl:

It's fun though!:D

Target day for me.:D

10/10 AFDs please Baileys.:D
  • ElusiveLucy
    Options
    Well done Maman

Barking as I am (thanks Baileys :rotfl:), I still managed to go out with some ex work colleagues last night as one was moving away and didn't have a drink. Stuck to sparkling water, decaff coffee and an OJ & lemonade

So 8/15 for last night please
    What goes around comes around.....I hope!
  • Baileysonice
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    It's fun though!:D

Target day for me.:D

10/10 AFDs please Baileys.:D

Good job maman :j:j:j I award you a minion :rotfl:
  • CuppaTea
    CuppaTea Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have got two more to add on please. I have forgotten where I am at. Thanks Baileys.

Agree with Maman and HB re people going awol.
    Live for the moment and plan for the future
  • Wanna_Bee_Free
    Wanna_Bee_Free Posts: 2,134 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 April 2018 at 7:01AM
    Options
    Sniggering with laughter here at Baileys band of dancing monkeys - thanks for asking Lucy.

Two things I have to admit on here. I am too wrapped up in my own comings and goings on the thread to be very aware of others not being on here although I often think about Winebox and wonder how she is doing.

Secondly on a day I thought maybe I should do a longer stint without booze I then caved and bought Rose as the sun was shining. Obviously the day had a y in it tooo.

So trying to think about triggers. my work day was more intense than usual with fewer breaks and no walk at lunch. I had a not great drs apointment as basically the diagnosis is you are getting older. I have not had enough sleep recently. So basically tiredness, self pity and my head not getting a chance to be cleared. Also I thought two things that happened were unfair and was railing against them- pointlessly. I will try and unpick this more today.

Committing early to 6/14 this evening, regardless of the sunshine!
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    18/28
    18/90
    for me todays please :)

Also had a chuckle thinking about the monkey family!

Just had some good news that I'm working nightshift Sat & Sun. Keeps me out of mischief and it's extra pennies towards the debt mountain.
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    edited 19 April 2018 at 2:06PM
    Options
    I am one of the AWOL ones. Went on holiday over Easter and what with the kids being off school, I didn't have one AF day last week. Ho hum.

I don't have a target per month as such, but I am up to 7 days so far for April.

My overall target is 50% AF for the year. It's standing at 44.44% at the moment, so need a few more AF days under my belt.

I'm going with the concept that if I do fall of the wagon, don't let it be a prolonged fall. As in don't let one day determine the rest of the week, month, etc.

I have been good this week and it is always my intention to only drink Friday and Saturday, so hopefully I will keep to this. Just need not to go overboard on those days!
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Options
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    Fabulous, Hopeful Joy! Several people have mentioned Allen Carr's book so it's good to have another reminder of it. I don't know about you, but I find staying stopped a heck of a lot easier than I ever found trying to moderate but I know it's not everyone's first choice.

17/30 please, Baileys.

My brother and dad say the same thing. That I am setting myself up for a fall by having that bottle at the weekends. And if I just stuck at it for a few weeks, I would realise that I didn't need the bottle(s) at the weekend. Just don't feel strong enough to do it. Especially when my girls are at their dads and I'm just sitting at home by myself. :(
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I now have visions of The Monkey Family playing as a band, just like The Partridge Family (boy does this list date me!), The Osmonds and The Jacksons.
    My brother and dad say the same thing. That I am setting myself up for a fall by having that bottle at the weekends. And if I just stuck at it for a few weeks, I would realise that I didn't need the bottle(s) at the weekend. Just don't feel strong enough to do it. Especially when my girls are at their dads and I'm just sitting at home by myself. :(

I'm not sure you are setting yourself up for a fall just because you still drink at weekend. If you're not absolutely certain, 100% sure, you want to be teetotal and you think you just should because everyone tells you to, so you try to stop drinking at all - that's setting yourself up for a fall, and that is guaranteed. (Stopping smoking's the same - it's only when someone really, really wants to be a non-smoker, they'll actually stop. Thinking they should isn't the same thing at all.)

I don't think anyone with issues around drink wants to give it up completely, but those of us that do and succeed are those that are 100% motivated to do so and even then it's not guaranteed there won't be slip ups.

Moderating is the hardest thing to do, but it is perfectly possible - everyone who doesn't have an issue with booze manages it perfectly well!

One bottle over a whole weekend might be binge drinking if you drink it all in one session in the technical sense, but if you then stop and don't open another - it's about as good as it gets. Please don't beat yourself up. We all make mistakes in life, we all do things we shouldn't, it's part of being human. Everyone who is on here acknowledges that we're more than capable of a slip up here and there - but we are doing as well as we can for now. In the future we may be able to wear a sparkly halo and not the very tarnished one we're currently sporting, but this bit of our lives that we're living right now, is as good as we can make it.

If more people were willing to have a shot at being the best they could be even some of the time, our society might be a more comfortable place. It's the ones that won't make any effort at all that break my heart. Nothing's ever as hopeless as it seems, there reallly is light at the end of the tunnel.

19/30 please, Shaggy.
    Better is good enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family