Cutting Down Alcohol Thread

Options

Comments

• fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    Well done hitting 65 days Paspatur! I'm aiming for 90 in a row starting on Monday if you want to join me?

24 for me today please
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• Paspatur
    Paspatur Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    fatrab wrote: »
    Well done hitting 65 days Paspatur! I'm aiming for 90 in a row starting on Monday if you want to join me?

24 for me today please

Thanks Rab
    Probably not as I am going abroad end of May for 2 weeks and although it will be far from a boozy holiday I will probably have the odd lager
    Good luck with it though you are doing really well
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Yes please, Baileys. I don't think anyone got crushed in the rush to volunteer their services when Shaggy stepped down, and I really, really couldn't do it anywhere near as well as you so if you're willing to keep on keeping score I for one will be eternally grateful.
    Still on 12/15 for today as I had 2 glasses of wine last night. Feeling a bit yuck this morning as I tolerate booze badly (which is why I am here) :( Divided up the rest of the bottle and froze for beef stews in the future...

Well done on being so decisive Doing It. It really is revolting once it's been frozen, so that temptation is now well and truly dealt with.
    Paspatur wrote: »
    On Monday I was on Day 65 and confident of reaching 100
    On Tuesday I had a very unexpected phone call from a friend who lives overseas to say she was in town
    Ended up going for a few drinks
    So I am disappointed that I broke my run but still very pleased with my 65 days and pleased that it stopped at 1 day as in the past it would be an excuse to say sod it for a week
    27/31 for yesterday and 28/31 for today please
    And a target of 30 for April please

Day 65 is a heck of an achievement and a huge amount to be proud of. Now that you're back on the wagon you'll have the additional resolve to get through the 90 Days and you'll know you can manage 65 so you won't have that fear nipping at your heels that you might not be able to make it. Day 65 to 90 isn't that much of a stretch either.

It's just one of the many, many things about this thread that I really love - a blip isn't the end of our achievement. Having to reset to Day 1 with many of the alcohol-free mindsets means that those people can never, ever feel they've got anywhere because they always have to go back to the beginning again.

I'd much rather be proud of all of the days I didn't drink than worry about the one where I did - we learn much more from our achievements. All that 'We learn from our mistakes' nonsense needs to be kicked into touch and we need to concentrate on what made our successes work - they're never accidental and they take a lot of effort.

28/31 please, Baileys, and 30 for April.
    Better is good enough.
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    17 AFDs for yesterday
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,336 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    25/21 for today please.
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,336 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Well done on reaching 65, Paspatur, it's over two months! :T :T Baileys please do keep going as you are brilliant. :) :T:T
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • Arkers
    Arkers Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone,
    18 please Baileys.
    Please consider carrying on with the counting - you're doing a great job!
    Paspatur[/COLOR]
    very good going on 65, I'm sure you have your holiday in hand, and no doubt will enjoy your lager as a result.
    Arkers x
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hey peeps can you let me know if you want me to keep the scores on the doors moving into April? If you do then can you have a think about your target and I can start building the list. No worries if someone else wants to take over :)
    Do we want you too????:eek::rotfl:
    Of course, that's a resounding YES PLEASE!!:A

You've done an amazing job. I'm sure if Shaggy ever calls by she'd agree. Great smileys. Great job. Thanks so much.:T
    Still on 12/15 for today as I had 2 glasses of wine last night. Feeling a bit yuck this morning as I tolerate booze badly (which is why I am here) :(Divided up the rest of the bottle and froze for beef stews in the future...

I had a similar situation last weekend which reminded me how far I've come. DH opened a bottle last Friday evening after he'd driven home from a function. I had a glass, tasted yuk so threw it away. He persevered with a couple of glasses (said it improved with breathing). The rest I liberally poured into the Bolognese sauce I made for the freezer on Saturday. Previously I'd have drunk anything, now I'm far more choosy.:)

I'm determined to have my 14 day smiley so not going to drink today. Holiday mode will have to wait until tomorrow.:D

14/10 AFDs for March please Baileys.

I'm away from tomorrow but will be back to start clocking up April scores from Wednesday. Target of 10 for April please.
  • Baileysonice
    Baileysonice Posts: 434 Forumite
    First Post Stoptober Survivor
    edited 29 March 2018 at 2:55PM
    Options
    Thank you for your lovely endorsement everyone and I would love to carry on. i will set out now to find us smilies that people aim towards :)

cathybirdthanks hun you're brilliant too :)

Honeybear you are totally right about the power of this thread keeping us all on track and reaching for higher heights than we would have if there was no accountability. For me I really debated long and hard whether having a drink with my Good Friday dinner was worth more than a daft hairy smilie that I wont get if I do. I know that you guys and only you guys will totally understand why I opted for a hairy smilie on Saturday :rotfl:

What I like is that people who do want to stop permanently rub along perfectly nicely with those like me who are cutting down /moderating one thing I do know is there would have been very few if any AF days without this thread for me so me and my health have a lot to thank you for for that.

Paspatur 65 days is fantastic well done :T :T:T...Ill put the year figures up for everyone following it later

maman yeah on 14 days so good in the month you went on holiday as well :j:j:j
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,764 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 29 March 2018 at 6:49PM
    Options
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    Well done on being so decisive Doing It. It really is revolting once it's been frozen, so that temptation is now well and truly dealt with.
    28/31 please, Baileys, and 30 for April.
    maman wrote: »

I had a similar situation last weekend which reminded me how far I've come. DH opened a bottle last Friday evening after he'd driven home from a function. I had a glass, tasted yuk so threw it away. He persevered with a couple of glasses (said it improved with breathing). The rest I liberally poured into the Bolognese sauce I made for the freezer on Saturday. Previously I'd have drunk anything, now I'm far more choosy.:)
    Thanks for 'getting it' Honeybear and Maman :)

I am getting the hang of this now. Although I've had a couple of fails :( One of the things I realise is I should buy half bottles of wine in future ;) Anyway, I aim to go for a whole month without alcohol. I don't think I will always want to do this but I just want to see how I feel. So 30/30 for April please Baileys and thank you for running this thread :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills