Solicitor fees

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Deaths, Funerals & Probate
19 replies 2K views
helsbells17helsbells17 Forumite
23 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Deaths, Funerals & Probate
Hello
My partner's father passed away in 1990 and as far as my partner was aware the estate was settled within a few years of that time. However a few weeks ago he was contacted by the solicitors who have taken on the firm that originally delt with the estate, stating that there are outstanding moneys due to be paid to my partner. The solicitor is wanting to charge a fee of £2000 for dealing with this matter. Our question is, surely my partner is not liable for this fee as he had paid the original solicitors to deal with the estate in full. The money rightly belongs to him so for the solicitors to want to take a slice for themselves seems out of order to us.
Any advice would be very much appreciated. Please ask for clarification if I haven't explained anything very well!
Thanks

Replies

• LintonLinton Forumite
    14.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am probably being paranoid but...

Are you 100% sure the letter is genuine? Have they said they want paying in advance? Have they said how much money is involved?
  • It's definitely genuine, no doubt about that, but it seems very out of order to us - they took the firm on, and therefore their cases. We didn't ask them to do anything!
  • Yorkshireman99Yorkshireman99 Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's definitely genuine, no doubt about that, but it seems very out of order to us - they took the firm on, and therefore their cases. We didn't ask them to do anything!
    It is ridiculouis! The fees are payable by the estate not the beneficiaries. More information required as to exactly what the fee is supposed to be for..
  • nom_de_plumenom_de_plume Forumite
    936 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Have you asked them the question as to why they want to charge a fee?

Is the sum of money involved of sufficient quantity to justify the fee?
  • nom_de_plumenom_de_plume Forumite
    936 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    It is ridiculouis! The fees are payable by the estate not the beneficiaries. More information required as to exactly what the fee is supposed to be for..

Although as you correctly state the estate pays the fees, if the son is the sole beneficiary, he will invariably pay the bill in the long run.
  • The fees have been taken off the total figure that they're planning to pay to my partner. The fees are £2000 plus vat, the remaining figure to be paid over to us is about £15000, so it's a fairly high proportion!
  • Yorkshireman99Yorkshireman99 Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The fees have been taken off the total figure that they're planning to pay to my partner. The fees are £2000 plus vat, the remaining figure to be paid over to us is about £15000, so it's a fairly high proportion!
    That is an outrageous amount. He needs to ask them to itemise exacly what justifies it. He can ask for the fees to be "taxed" which means they are examined independently to see that they are fair.
  • The fees have been taken off the total figure that they're planning to pay to my partner. The fees are £2000 plus vat, the remaining figure to be paid over to us is about £15000, so it's a fairly high proportion!

And when you asked for a breakdown of the fee the solicitor said ...
  • susancssusancs Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    is what you are saying is that the estate was settled in full and solicitors paid some 25 years ago, but an additional £15,000 has been found to be due to your partner of which the new firm want to have £2000 to deal with the paperwork dealing with this additional matter?

My understanding is that your partner did not pay for work done on this additional financial matter as it was not found at the time the estate was originally dealt with by the previous firm. Can your partner deal with this matter himself or shop around for a cheaper quote than £2,000 proposed by the current firm offering to deal with this matter?
  • Manxman_in_exileManxman_in_exile Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just out of curiosity - how would something like this come to light 27 years after the testator's death?

Especially when it's a different firm of solicitors from the original executors?

I'm surprised they've still got the files
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals