HSBC Global & VLS60

Options
Morning all....

Looking at holding these 2 funds to invest for 15-20 years.
Couple of questions...

I am 38 so thought VLS60 would be appropriate for age and time in the market etc.

Just need to decide on HSBC Global Strategy - Balanced or Dynamic.

I think the 2 funds compliment each other quite well with the HSBC diluting a bit of the UK Bias of the VLS.

Any recommendations of whether to go with balanced or dynamic ?

Also am going to place these in a General Investment Account until they can go into a S&S ISA. Have used Hargreaves Lansdown before found them easy to use and helpful.

Are they a decent company to use or do people feel their charges are too high and could suggest an alternative.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,668 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 January 2018 at 10:43AM
    Options
    Both funds are conservative for your age and investment time frame but it depends on your volatility tolerance. I am similar age and hold HSBC GS Balanced in my SIPP but my workplace pension and ISA/LISAs are more adventurous so overall I am at my target allocation.

If investing in an ISA it would be cheaper to invest with Vanguard Investor for VLS only and Cavendish for HSBC (or both funds). If a SIPP then Cavendish for both fund options. If a LISA then AJ Bell YouInvest for lump sums or HL for regular contributions. But with HL it would probably be better to go with the Blackrock Consensus fund series for the discount.

All of these platforms have acceptable levels of customer service so personally I wouldn't pay extra for HL on an ISA or SIPP (unless approaching drawdown when HL can be good value). The LISA market is less competitive so HL are a reasonable choice.

Alex.
  • bcfclee27
    Options
    Alexland wrote: »
    Both funds are conservative for your age and investment time frame but it depends on your volatility tolerance. I am similar age and hold HSBC GS Balanced in my SIPP but my workplace pension and ISA/LISAs are more adventurous so overall I am at my target allocation.

If investing in an ISA it would be cheaper to invest with Vanguard Investor for VLS only and Cavendish for HSBC (or both funds). If a SIPP then Cavendish for both fund options. If a LISA then AJ Bell YouInvest for lump sums or HL for regular contributions. But with HL it would probably be better to go with the Blackrock Consensus fund series for the discount.

All of these platforms have acceptable levels of customer service so personally I wouldn't pay extra for HL on an ISA or SIPP (unless approaching drawdown when HL can be good value). The LISA market is less competitive so HL are a reasonable choice.

Alex.

Thanks Alex, they would only be in a general investment account,and then moved to a stocks and shares ISA.
  • bcfclee27
    Options
    Hmmmmmm you've now got me thinking VLS80 & HSBC Dynamic !!!

Decisions Decisions !!!!
  • Alexland
    edited 30 January 2018 at 10:52AM
    Options
    bcfclee27 wrote: »
    Thanks Alex, they would only be in a general investment account,and then moved to a stocks and shares ISA.

Well for a GIA percentage fees won't matter much if you expect to get the money ISA wrapped soon - just don't open anything with an exit fee.

Are you sure you cannot invest the money for 22 years to get the 25% LISA bonus?

Also if you are a 40% taxpayer I assume you have considered additional pension contributions first? It also helps with regaining eligibility to child benefit.
    Hmmmmmm you've now got me thinking VLS80 & HSBC Dynamic !!!

I find in my late 30s that I am in more a 70% equities risk tolerance.
  • bcfclee27
    Options
    Ok so having thought about it I think I'm going to go....

50% HSBC & 50% VLS.

I want a 70% Equities risk.

Want some advice on whether to go...

Option 1 - VLS 80 & HSBC Global Strategy Balanced
    Option 2 - VLS 60 & HSBC Global Strategy Dynamic

Lower rate tax payer, descent pension.
    Also funds will be left alone regardless of any crashes I will not be panicking or selling until they have been in for at least 15 years.
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,515 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ok so having thought about it I think I'm going to go....

50% HSBC & 50% VLS.

I want a 70% Equities risk.

Want some advice on whether to go...

Option 1 - VLS 80 & HSBC Global Strategy Balanced
    Option 2 - VLS 60 & HSBC Global Strategy Dynamic

Lower rate tax payer, descent pension.
    Also funds will be left alone regardless of any crashes I will not be panicking or selling until they have been in for at least 15 years.
    So within a couple of hours this morning your risk level has gone from 60% equities to consider 80% equities, then thinking 70% with a mix and match between VLS medium risk and HSBC high risk or vice versa to achieve that.

I personally think you would be fine long term with 60% equities, and your first thought of an even split between VLS60 and HSBC GS Balanced is a nice split in my opinion. A 60/40 equity/bond split, which is well diversified is a good asset allocation for a medium risk investor regardless of age.
  • bcfclee27
    Options
    Audaxer wrote: »
    So within a couple of hours this morning your risk level has gone from 60% equities to consider 80% equities, then thinking 70% with a mix and match between VLS medium risk and HSBC high risk or vice versa to achieve that.

I personally think you would be fine long term with 60% equities, and your first thought of an even split between VLS60 and HSBC GS Balanced is a nice split in my opinion. A 60/40 equity/bond split, which is well diversified is a good asset allocation for a medium risk investor regardless of age.

Haha yes I know !!! Cannot decide as you can easily tell.
    Once however I purchase whichever I decide on I can assure you that it will then not be touched for years and years.

Just need to make a decision on these 2 options.
  • Alexland
    Options
    Once however I purchase whichever I decide on I can assure you that it will then not be touched for years and years.

Well if you are mixing risk levels you will need to remember to rebalance regularly or your risk profile might start to drift. This should be possible by redirecting future regular contributions to minimise trades.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Alexland wrote: »
    Both funds are conservative for your age and investment time frame

Debatable
    but it depends on your volatility tolerance.
    Correct. 60/40 has been a good balance of risk and reward in previous markets. The OP has settled on some sensible funds and whatever they do it will be ok. There will be some times when their choice will be validated and others when they will question it. There's no right or wrong path to follow, just your own path.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    I'd agree that the 60/40 split is sensible one for a medium risk investor and both VLS and HSBC Global Strategy are good funds. Mixing the two also helps with the UK overweighting in VLS (if that concerns you) and gives you more corporate bond exposure if you feel that VLS's bias towards government bonds is a bit overly cautious.

I'm only slightly older and have wrestled with the 60% or 70% equities conundrum. In the end I've settled on 60%, although sometimes still wonder whether I should increase my equities exposure.

If you do want to go for 70% then you could actually mix versions of the funds, e.g. in VLS you could go for half of your investment in 60 and half in 80.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure