MSE News: Government to review all 1.6 million...

Options
Former_MSE_Callum
Former_MSE_Callum Posts: 696 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
edited 31 January 2018 at 1:19PM in Benefits & tax credits
Every person receiving personal independence payments will have their claim reviewed, the Government has said...
Read the full story:
'Government to review all 1.6 million personal independence payment claims'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    if you are found to have been underpaid then you could receive payments backdated to November 2016, so in some cases claimants could be owed £100s.

Surely payments should be backdated to the start of the PIP claim? If the government's action was unlawful it's always been unlawful, not just unlawful since the date of the High Court ruling.

Anyone who received the mobility component under DLA and was transferred to PIP has strong evidence they were eligible for this under PIP too.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I think the DWP appealed the original decision so Nov 16 would perhaps be right, the "rules" for DLA and PIP differ.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Anyone who received the mobility component under DLA and was transferred to PIP has strong evidence they were eligible for this under PIP too.

This may not be so, as the department admitted passing a number of DLA applications, without even looking at details, because of a need to reduce a huge backlog ,therefore some may have been awarded incorrectly.
  • weenelly
    Options
    Is this going to happen in Northern Ireland? I received low rate mobility £88 pm as I suffer from anxiety and vertigo among other things but I was turned down for PIP and got no points at all. They say 'I am able to plan a journey' but in reality I can't make the journey unless it is with someone familiar. I used that money to get a taxi to and from work each day ( with 1 of 4 drivers who I know) as there is no bus route even if I could use it. I don't go anywhere alone and that helped me to get to work which keeps my sanity. I didn't request them to look at it again because I thought it was a waste of time. Any advice welcome please.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,075 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    weenelly wrote: »
    Is this going to happen in Northern Ireland? I received low rate mobility £88 pm as I suffer from anxiety and vertigo among other things but I was turned down for PIP and got no points at all. They say 'I am able to plan a journey' but in reality I can't make the journey unless it is with someone familiar. I used that money to get a taxi to and from work each day ( with 1 of 4 drivers who I know) as there is no bus route even if I could use it. I don't go anywhere alone and that helped me to get to work which keeps my sanity. I didn't request them to look at it again because I thought it was a waste of time. Any advice welcome please.
    I have no idea if it applies over there, it most likely does. If it does then you'll need to re-apply because you were refused. It's all the ones with existing awards that they're going to look at again.
  • Mr_Mann
    Mr_Mann Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 31 January 2018 at 2:12PM
    Options
    It's not the only thing that is "blatantly discriminatory" as the judge described it. People with mental health problems don't have to pay council tax (rightly so) as they are likely to be unable to work to generate an income. Yet if you are physically unable to work you have to pay unless receiving income related benefits. This applies to the long term sick whether you have been unwell for one year or thirty years. It's shamefully discriminatory. If you have no ability to generate an income you shouldn't have to pay whether your problem is mental or physical. Someone needs to get this sorted and stand up for those who can't do it themselves to make things more equal, it would be a step towards the fairer society Theresa Maye keeps saying she stands for.
    I'd quite like to know what other people think about this inequality.
  • Two_shoes
    Options
    I was granted higher rate mobility and care components of DLA indefinitely back in the early 90's, i had the reassessment for pips back in October 2016 and lost the mobility side of pips and my care was reduced and my car was taken back due to the lack of the mobility component. After the appeal i was granted 1 further point to my care component which still kept me on the standard rate but was awarded this for the next 10 years but no mobility.
    My original award was because of degenerative disc disease which affects my back, hips and legs but since the appeal i have been diagnosed with Vascular disease, C.O.P.D among other things.
    would i need to reapply for pips or would my case be looked at again?.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,075 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Two_shoes wrote: »
    I was granted higher rate mobility and care components of DLA indefinitely back in the early 90's, i had the reassessment for pips back in October 2016 and lost the mobility side of pips and my care was reduced and my car was taken back due to the lack of the mobility component. After the appeal i was granted 1 further point to my care component which still kept me on the standard rate but was awarded this for the next 10 years but no mobility.
    My original award was because of degenerative disc disease which affects my back, hips and legs but since the appeal i have been diagnosed with Vascular disease, C.O.P.D among other things.
    would i need to reapply for pips or would my case be looked at again?.
    I'm guessing you don't read the other posts? If you did then you would have seen what i posted in post #6. There's 1.6 million existing awards to be looked at again, if you're one of them and you were awarded incorrectly then DWP will contact you. The new rules are mainly for mental health, so i highly doubt you were awarded wrong under these rules.
  • Prinzessilein
    Options
    Mr_Mann wrote: »
    It's not the only thing that is "blatantly discriminatory" as the judge described it. People with mental health problems don't have to pay council tax (rightly so) as they are likely to be unable to work to generate an income. Yet if you are physically unable to work you have to pay unless receiving income related benefits. This applies to the long term sick whether you have been unwell for one year or thirty years. It's shamefully discriminatory. If you have no ability to generate an income you shouldn't have to pay whether your problem is mental or physical. Someone needs to get this sorted and stand up for those who can't do it themselves to make things more equal, it would be a step towards the fairer society Theresa Maye keeps saying she stands for.
    I'd quite like to know what other people think about this inequality.

I would dearly love to know where you get your 'facts' from!

I have mental health issues...and I worked full-time (and then some!) for many years...as do many other people with mental health issues.

Whilst it is true that I am no longer able to work (physical and mental health issues)...I have ALWAYS had to pay council tax!...I do get reductions in this - but only ones that would be available to people who do not necessarily have mental health issues.

Personally, I am holding my thumbs and hoping for an increase from Standard to Enhanced for mobility....but we will wait and see how the government deal with the issue...it is a HUGE job!
  • jimbo52james
    Options
    This award states that all of the 220,000 estimated claimants would be contacted, what it does not state is when and what to do if you are not contacted, although you know you qualify.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure