Death certificate

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Deaths, Funerals & Probate
8 replies 1.3K views
WeAreGhostsWeAreGhosts Forumite
3K Posts
Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Deaths, Funerals & Probate
I’m trying to find out whether a relative has died in the past few years (I highly suspect so). I’ve tried to fill in the government forms online, but they want to know details like date of death. Is it not possible to find out this way? And if not how do I find out? I’ve tried find a will but there’s nothing listed. I have no one to ask :(

Replies

• Yorkshireman99Yorkshireman99 Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’m trying to find out whether a relative has died in the past few years (I highly suspect so). I’ve tried to fill in the government forms online, but they want to know details like date of death. Is it not possible to find out this way? And if not how do I find out? I’ve tried find a will but there’s nothing listed. I have no one to ask :(
    The first step is to check the indices. You can ask for a search over several years if you know the place of death, birth date and full name.
  • WeAreGhostsWeAreGhosts Forumite
    3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a link?
    I seem to be looking at the wrong area of the government website. The year of death range only goes up to the 1950s. I’m trying to find a death in 2015/2016
  • Yorkshireman99Yorkshireman99 Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a link?
    I seem to be looking at the wrong area of the government website. The year of death range only goes up to the 1950s. I’m trying to find a death in 2015/2016
    I suggest you give them a call on 0300 123 1837and ask their advice.
  • SilvertabbySilvertabby Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you know where they lived?

If so, try googling the 'births marriages and deaths' notices from the local paper. If listed, that will at least give you a date of death to work with
  • WeAreGhostsWeAreGhosts Forumite
    3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't use the phone, but have emailed the question.

I have tried Googling name and location, but no joy in the obituaries (which doesn't surprise me). All I have is an address but the house was sold in 2015.
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    43.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would it be worth writing to 'the present owner' and asking if they know what happened to your relative? Did you know any of the neighbours?
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • If you knew where the deceased lived and their name etc you can check for the date of death in the obituaries online, the company iannounce online post all of these for newspapers.
  • pimentopimento Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The England and Wales deaths are online up until 2007. PM me if you'd like me to look anything up.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals