Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Financial - Caring for an elderly cat you inherit

in Pets & pet care
10 replies 1.4K views
I am in a bit of a pickle. My Mum has an elderly cat who has asthma and develops pancreatitis twice a year. My Mum is terminally ill and I will be taking responsibility for the cat upon her death as there is no one else who can do this. He is very sensitive and is a rescue cat who has be previously dumped on the streets when he was a youngster, so giving him to a pet rescue is not an option.

I am really concerned about the vet fees associated with his illnesses. At the moment he has pancreatitis and my Mum's vet bill is increasing and increasing because he needs to go for daily injections to the vets (he refuses to take tablets when his appetite is affected with pancreatitis, and we need to put any medication in food). My mum can afford this bill at a stretch. My Mum doesn't have insurance for him, otherwise I would just continue this.

I am really concerned about how I am going to afford treatment for him when I am his owner. The only way I can see forward is to put a little money aside for him every month and hope this covers any vet bills. I asked my Mum to start a fund for him which she has, but this will only last for a little while and I don't know how long he will live for.

Has anyone else been in a similar position to mine and what did you do? Thanks for reading!

Replies

• Also to add - the vets we go to are awesome and really help with our bills. It's just a lot of responsibility to take on and I want to make sure I have everything covered, so I don't have any surprises and am a responsible pet owner.
  • FrogletFroglet Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    What a lovely thing to do,both for your Mum and the poor cat.When our dog developed arthritis and needed pills we got a prescription from the vets and the medicine online.Don't know whether that will be an option.It may also be worth asking the vet if you can do the injections which would also save money.
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    44.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I don't know if the Cinnamon Trust would be able to offer any help if you're taking on Mum's cat, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

You could also discreetly ask the vet about life expectancy.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Thank you both! These are excellent ideas. I was hoping the vets could teach me how to inject. I may broach the subject with them. I will also look into meds online. I will also contact the Cinnamon Trust. Many thanks again.
  • KatiehoundKatiehound Forumite
    6.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It might also be worth asking Cats Protection for their advice.

Where do you live? The reason I ask is to do with charity help.......
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

• Sorry to be insensitive, but will you be inheriting any money/property from your mum as well?
  • Hi Katie, Thank you! I've sent you a PM.
  • Hi, Thanks for your reply. I really don't know. My Mum doesn't own property and I don't like to know about the money situation because for me it seems such a horrible thing to think about. We both live on the money we do have and that's enough for me. I do know Mum's set up a fund for the cat though and there's a little bit of money in there but I know it won't last for a long time if our cat is ill like this again.
  • Hi, Thanks for your reply. I really don't know. My Mum doesn't own property and I don't like to know about the money situation because for me it seems such a horrible thing to think about. We both live on the money we do have and that's enough for me. I do know Mum's set up a fund for the cat though and there's a little bit of money in there but I know it won't last for a long time if our cat is ill like this again.

That's the only reason I asked, I think it would be appropriate for any money your mum does leave you to be spent on her cat's care so I would put that straight into a separate account/pot if I were you.

I think your plan to put away a bit each month is sensible.

Have you checked to see if you qualify for PDSA or RSPCA vet care? Here's some info if not:

https://www.rspca.org.uk/whatwedo/care/vetcare

https://www.pdsa.org.uk/taking-care-of-your-pet/eligibility

Lastly, and I'm sorry if this sounds insensitive, but as some families ask for charity donations instead of flowers at funerals, could you ask for donations to the cat's ongoing care as it is something that would mean a lot to your mother?
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    44.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Lastly, and I'm sorry if this sounds insensitive, but as some families ask for charity donations instead of flowers at funerals, could you ask for donations to the cat's ongoing care as it is something that would mean a lot to your mother?
    Could I just say that I'd only want to give to this if there was something like "any funds left after kitty dies will be given to ... Cats Protection League / Cinnamon Trust / PDSA / your favourite charity for helping animals" or even a promise to split the funds between kitty and said favourite charity.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Cheapest Christmas dinner

We've crunched the numbers to find the best prices

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum