Things can only get better

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt Free Diaries
5.3K replies 458.4K views

Replies

• SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope Mr S A is on the mend and enjoying his tunes on his radio as he motors along.

The garden will be in full bloom now I expect with all the sun last weekend, hope you get time to enjoy it.

Bet you can't wait to start your new role , new beginnings and all that.

Enjoy rest of weekend.
  • beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    72.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Have a lovely Sunday :)
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **
    MFW. 9 months to go. B)
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
  • Sun_AddictSun_Addict Forumite
    9.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    What a busy weekend!

Yesterday it was Mr M delivery, followed by WW (lost the holiday half a pound) then DS and family came. The grandkids ran riot round the house, even putting my make up on at one stage! DGD is only 3 but posed like a model when I took her photo. DGS moves so fast any photos of him were a blur!

Today took the dog to the V.E.T. for a flea/worm check. She was really good. Mr SA insisted on coming with us as he knows there's a Costa near the vets and last time he came with us was the time he ran me over distracted by said Costa. I made sure I walked behind the scooter this time. Had a quick whizz round B&M, bought some rattan effect planters £4.99 each. Will match rattan sofa outside.

When we got home we put the new dining table and chairs together - just had to put the legs on.

Then cleaned the house.

Now relaxing with a pink gin and tonic while the dinner is cooking.

Back to work tomorrow for a rest :)
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2020 £551.78
    Emergency Fund £4850/£10,000
    September NSD:
  • RhiBiRhiBi Forumite
    673 posts
    Xmas Saver!
    Sounds a busy, but enjoyable weekend. Glad you got home in one piece!!
    Virtual Sealed Pot No.07
  • joeyjimblesjoeyjimbles Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed that Mr SA is ok for the foreseeable and it was just a blip. And fantastic about the new colleagues being welcoming and of course the salary increase - make sure some of that money is for you.

op £57.72
    9.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The plan is to save the extra cash. I really need to save hard for retirement in 8 years. On the other hand, if anything happened to Mr SA, I need to know I could afford the mortgage. Ironically, if anything happened to me Mr SA would be a fairly wealthy man with the life insurance and my death in service payout. If he snuffed it I would be skint.

Mr SA has been OK the past couple of days and I realise the bad things are just part of his brain injury. He has trouble with the message from his brain to his bowel/bladder that he needs the loo. This has been confirmed with the OT, it's a common thing with brain injuries.

So it's my final week in my current job. Will miss my colleagues but we'll meet up and they're only a building away. Really looking forward to my new job. I'm so used to drastic changes in my life that it will be a doddle and the extra money will be more than welcome :)
    September NSD:
  • DebsnewbudgetDebsnewbudget Forumite
    352 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Just a thought SA but can you do AVC's through your pension scheme? For every £ you put in you get an additional 20% from the govt. I saved like mad in them for the last few years and have just been able to take the whole sum out as cash
    Might be worth checking out as its free money and would be a good home for your extra salary.
    Congratulations on the promotion as well
  • beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    72.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy last week :)
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **
    MFW. 9 months to go. B)
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
  • enthusiasticsaverenthusiasticsaver Forumite, Board Guide
    10.7K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest if you are long term saving for retirement SA then you look into AVCs or overpaying into your occupational pension. It is the most tax efficient way of saving and would help with your retirement planning. Maybe a percentage into mortgage/shirt term savings and some extra towards pension. Do you know details of your pension scheme?
    Early retired in December 2017

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected]
    9.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    My pension is a civil service pension so not sure about AVCs. Thanks for the info though, worth looking into.

Talking of pensions, I've had another letter about the one that's winding up. Seems to be taking forever. The cut off date is 25 May - finally!

Dentist check up this afternoon, all ok thankfully.

Finally achieved a NSD :) This was despite Mr SA ringing me to get him a new grabber stick as he's broken his. He seems to think we've got a never ending supply of money and that I've got nothing better to do than run around shopping for him.

Back to the gym at lunchtime today, not been since before my holiday but have been to Pilates and doing loads of walking.

Weather has been fab here today, pity I was indoors for most of it.
    September NSD: