We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Autumn Leaves

nodwah
nodwah Posts: 1,742 Forumite
Well it's turned a lot colder today here (see the autumnal colour?) and we're getting a lot of leaves in the garden now so I hope veryone's collecting them. I'm going to put some in a sturdy plastic bag with holes in it and keep it behind the shed and see if good leaf mould comes out.
Just call me Nodwah the thread killer

Comments

• A_Clock
    A_Clock Posts: 317 Forumite
    Ive been thinking about doing that, do you have to keep the bag in the shade? What if I chop them up really good with the mower, could they go in the compost bin?
  • alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    I practice the bung them on the beds and eventually they turn into leaf mold method, untidy but it works ;)
  • nodwah
    I've seen it done on the telly by chopping up with the mower so tha would help, but I think the idea is that leaves take a long time to break down so let them rot by themselves separate from the other compost. Both of my compost bins are full anyway, I'm having to put stuff in the council brown bin now.
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I am tidying garden up at weekend and getting rid of old summer plants etc. I got some bags today from council to recycle garden materal. I wouldnt compost them up its all full up.

I need some Winter colour plants to get now and finish off planting some bulbs.

Took some old cardboard and stones to the tip and found a decorative pot in a skip there so nabbed it.
  • nodwah
    >Quote Took some old cardboard and stones to the tip and found a decorative pot in a skip there so nabbed it.<

Well done, at our tip sometimes the blokes stop you taking anything.
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    The pot is nice okay only worth a few quid sure I seen that pot in Wilkos' but hey is only going to get broken in the rubble skip and at least some one will make use of it
  • when my dear mum died I brought aload of stuff from her's to mine and stuck them in the garage til I could face them 2 years later I started sorting them ...terracotta pots small medium and large 2 of each so I got a pot of gold hammersmith paint out the cupboard that I use to touch up some pot's on the grave's and painted a pattern on them then I've filled them with winter pansies and tiered them up on top of each other and stuck a bamboo stick down the middle to stop them falling off and breaking...I saw this done on ground force year's ago make's a striking display and have put them either side of the front door...great feature....glorious colour....:D:j

Pls be nice to all MSer's
    There's no such thing as a stupid question, and even if you disagree courtesy helps.
    Tomorrow never come's as today is yesterday and tomorrow is today:confused:

MERRY CHRISTMAS FELLOW MSer's:xmastree:
  • I'm collecting/clearing lots of leaves at the moment. Use a mower to collect from lawns and if possible a vacuum shredder from beds. Shredding will quicken up the composting process dramatically. If bagging, then remember to water in the leaves (often they're very dry) to speed the process up.
    I'm mad!!!! :rotfl::jand celebrating everyday every year!!!
  • nodwah
    Thanks my Lord! I only have a tiny flymo so that would spread the leaves around even more!

Well done computerwoman, you could go into business!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport