Replacing Storage Heaters

Options

Comments

• alex1483
    alex1483 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 9 April 2018 at 1:12PM
    Options
    Hello all, I'm new to this forum.

I'm having a similar dither on whether to stick with NSH (seems to me Dimplex Quantum a good option) or ditch E7 and go normal tariff with something like Rointe with what looks like excellent control (phone app, zone control, etc.).

A friend has Quantum, and it seems to me that when they are not programmed to deliver heat (e.g. during the day) and you feel around them they do not leak much heat at all - just a bit from the top which might actually be enough to take the edge off on a chilly day, or enough during the night. When they do come on to deliver heat, they do chuck it out quite nicely from the fan at the bottom. However, on a mild day then that heat loss, albeit small, is wastage.

As off peak electricity is around 40% cheaper than normal tariff, as long as the Quantum (or other NSH) can save enough heat for the evening then they can waste 40% of their heat (e.g. that leakage when off) in order to have the same running costs as 'normal' electric heating.

I do like the Rointe though, full control and an app! However, for the 7 months or so of the year that you don't use heating then you're not getting the benefit of an E7 tariff to heat the hot water more cheaply.

There doesn't appear to be a clear winner. I reckon E7 and NSH (fitted on internal walls) in living room and bedroom, with panel heater in kitchen and bathroom (my kitchen doesn't seem to get that cold, and leads from living room anyway) might be slightly cheaper to run that 'normal' electric heating throughout, even with the better control of normal heating. Feel free to challenge me on that - I would appreciate it!

One morning at a friend's though, the Quantum did seem to go beserk at about 6am with fan on full blast chucking out loads of heat, so much so that we woke up. Perhaps it thought it was colder than it was - I can't see how it can measure room temp accurately with an in built temp sensor rather than a remote thermostat. Rointe don't seem to have remote sensor either.

I'd quite like a diy solution with cheap electric fan heaters and remote sensor and wifi controlled plugs and a phone app to programme. But i'm concerned about value of the property when I sell it - I don't mind spending £4k on a new heating system if the investment attracts more buyers and I get the money back when selling. They are more likely to be put off with would be perceived as some cheap diy'd lashed up system!

Don't know if this helps or not, it's just some thoughts!
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    alex1483 wrote: »
    Hello all, I'm new to this forum.

I'm having a similar dither on whether to stick with NSH (seems to me Dimplex Quantum a good option) or ditch E7 and go normal tariff with something like Rointe with what looks like excellent control (phone app, zone control, etc.).

A friend has Quantum, and it seems to me that when they are not programmed to deliver heat (e.g. during the day) and you feel around them they do not leak much heat at all - just a bit from the top which might actually be enough to take the edge off on a chilly day, or enough during the night. When they do come on to deliver heat, they do chuck it out quite nicely from the fan at the bottom. However, on a mild day then that heat loss, albeit small, is wastage.

As off peak electricity is around 40% cheaper than normal tariff, as long as the Quantum (or other NSH) can save enough heat for the evening then they can waste 40% of their heat (e.g. that leakage when off) in order to have the same running costs as 'normal' electric heating.

I do like the Rointe though, full control and an app! However, for the 7 months or so of the year that you don't use heating then you're not getting the benefit of an E7 tariff to heat the hot water more cheaply.

There doesn't appear to be a clear winner. I reckon E7 and NSH (fitted on internal walls) in living room and bedroom, with panel heater in kitchen and bathroom (my kitchen doesn't seem to get that cold, and leads from living room anyway) might be slightly cheaper to run that 'normal' electric heating throughout, even with the better control of normal heating. Feel free to challenge me on that - I would appreciate it!

One morning at a friend's though, the Quantum did seem to go beserk at about 6am with fan on full blast chucking out loads of heat, so much so that we woke up. Perhaps it thought it was colder than it was - I can't see how it can measure room temp accurately with an in built temp sensor rather than a remote thermostat. Rointe don't seem to have remote sensor either.

Don't know if this helps or not, it's just some thoughts!

Welcome to the forum.

If you decide on NSH, do you intend to keep your present NSH heaters or get Quantum? If the latter you haven't explained the reason for a huge outlay.

Personally I wouldn't be tempted to pay high prices for panel electrical heaters because they have 'full control' and an app. You can buy plug-in timer/thermostats with remote control very cheaply. Also the electrics on most of these expensive heaters have a much shorter warranty than the body. (Rointe is 3 years)
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    alex1483 wrote: »
    One morning at a friend's though, the Quantum did seem to go beserk at about 6am with fan on full blast chucking out loads of heat, so much so that we woke up. Perhaps it thought it was colder than it was ...

This part of the Quantum's operating mode. It uses the built-in standard heater to bring rooms up to temperature ready for when you get up in the morning. This should be still using off-peak electricity.

If you already have standard NSHs and a modern digital electricity meter, you can achieve the same effect by running plug-in heaters on a timer. As you say, it's a bit of a lash-up but achieves the same result.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Rointe heaters are basically oil filled radiators and the controlers are fiendishly difficult tp programme. Their only benefit over say a Fischer is that they are a bit cheaper to buy but still cost silly money

1kwh from a Rointe will produce the same amount of heat and cost exactly the same as 1kwh from a oil filled rad from Argos, B&Q or anywhere else.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • alex1483
    Options
    matelodave wrote: »
    Rointe heaters are basically oil filled radiators and the controlers are fiendishly difficult tp programme. Their only benefit over say a Fischer is that they are a bit cheaper to buy but still cost silly money

1kwh from a Rointe will produce the same amount of heat and cost exactly the same as 1kwh from a oil filled rad from Argos, B&Q or anywhere else.

I haven't actually tried Rointe but they do look finicky to operate!

I'm aware 1kWis 1kW. But there's also the way that heat comes out e.g. radiate, convect, fan, etc. My current old NSHs don't distribute the heat around the room very well - a better designed radiator (like the more expensive electric ones, or the normal GCH type radiators) will. Although the more expensive electric ones that do a better job of distributing the heat are still of course FAR too much money for what they are. Much like estate agents.

Cardew wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum.

If you decide on NSH, do you intend to keep your present NSH heaters or get Quantum? If the latter you haven't explained the reason for a huge outlay.

Personally I wouldn't be tempted to pay high prices for panel electrical heaters because they have 'full control' and an app. You can buy plug-in timer/thermostats with remote control very cheaply. Also the electrics on most of these expensive heaters have a much shorter warranty than the body. (Rointe is 3 years)

Thanks!

I want to replace the old NSH because they make the place far too hot in the morning and far too cold in the evening, even when closing and opening dampers etc. as necessary. The knob for one damper is broken and shut closed anyway. Also no proper control and no holiday mode. Plus they look cack and i'm renovating the place! I have acquired a retro 1970s Belling heater for top up, and also it looks good!

The Quantum's seem to insulate the heat quite well when they are programmed to be off, and they have more modern controls such as holiday mode, that's why i'm interested.

Cheers
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • tulip46
    tulip46 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, we live in a 1970s flat and replaced the old (Dimplex) storage heaters some 10 years ago which are much more user friendly because both input and output controls can be used.
    We bought Dimplex again because they have always been reliable (no, we don’t work for Dimplex nor do we get commission ;)
    We also own the flat next door to ours and have given this advice to our tenants.

HOW TO USE THE STORAGE HEATERS
    1 - Turn on at the mains switch and leave switched on as it will only use electricity during the cheap(er) rate.
    2 - The INPUT KNOB dictates how much heat it will STORE. It will depend on the weather as to what the setting needs to be. During really cold winter weather it is best to leave it on high all the time.
    3 - Unless extra heat is needed during the day or when coming home after work, make sure the OUTPUT KNOB is set at the minimum. This will cause the heater to store as much heat as possible during the heat storing times overnight on Economy 7. When a boost is needed to release more of the stored heat, turn it to maximum but make sure it is back to minimum afterwards and definitely during the night to stop extra heat being released unnecessarily.

Dimplex storage heaters are also available with a convector built in for immediate heat, for when the stored heat is not enough or for times of the year when you don't need it on all the time. You then have the best of both worlds with a choice of stored and immediate heat. We have one of those in the living room.
    There is one more important thing to point out, left until last because it may not be available in your area with any of the suppliers (it is not very readily available everywhere unfortunately): it is a great idea to have Economy 10 installed instead of Economy 7. This means the heaters store heat for 10 hours instead of 7, evenly divided during the day and night, in our case 3 hours afternoon, 3 hours evening and 4 hours night. Obviously more expensive with more electricity used (at cheap rate) but definitely warm all day. And you can choose whether or not to actually use all of those hours by turning the input to off or minimum when not needed.

I know this has been a long story but I hope it has been of some help for you in deciding what to purchase.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 April 2018 at 11:41PM
    Options
    Thank you very much for all the responses. Very helpful. Sorry I have more to ask.

1. Would it be worth 'servicing' old storage heaters to check if there is any part that has broken down over the years by calling an electrician?
    2. I have a very small space (probably not going to be used most of the time) that does not have any storage heating connection (no off peak connection). Would infrared panels work better with small spaces to be used when required or will any panel do the work?
    3. The other thing is if I use the old NSH, what do I buy to fix a do it yourself thermostat? Could you please explain?

Thank you very much
  • Csatina
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    By now I believe you have plenty of experience with these storage heaters. Can you please share your experience with them. I’m especially curious about the running costs. We are about to buy our first electric only flat and I am terrified about the electric heating running costs. The flat has Economy 7 meter. I would like to maintain a reasonable temperature all day. 18 degrees around night, 20 during the day. To the bedrooms I’m planning to fit Q-Rad heaters, Quantum SH to the living room & lounge.
    Many thanks!
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,120 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Csatina wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    By now I believe you have plenty of experience with these storage heaters. Can you please share your experience with them. I’m especially curious about the running costs. We are about to buy our first electric only flat and I am terrified about the electric heating running costs. The flat has Economy 7 meter. I would like to maintain a reasonable temperature all day. 18 degrees around night, 20 during the day. To the bedrooms I’m planning to fit Q-Rad heaters, Quantum SH to the living room & lounge.
    Many thanks!

I think you will find 18 at night far too hot and will end up opening the windows.

Aren't there storage rads already fitted ? If so find out how to use them and get a year of experience from them before you change them.

Is this a modern flat ie purpose built and a few years old or an old one.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport