When to resign

Options
On Monday A recruitment consultant told me that i have been offered a job by a company i interviewed for howvever i still dont have a contract or any communcation or a pay offer from the company yet as they are consulting with their US head office. I would like to leave my current employer on good terms , should i tell them now that i have been offered a job or wait until i actually get a contract

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Always wait until you have a job offer in writing before handing in your notice. Anything can happen between the message from the agency and the company actually making an offer.
  • Tumtitums
    Options
    I was just thinking of telling my manager thats its likely i will be handing in my notice just out of politeness and then handing in my notice when i have a more concrete written offer or is this unnecessary
  • StevenB12
    Options
    Probably unnecessary. I know you want to be as up front as possible but in reality say if you need to give two weeks notice, you will still give your current employer two weeks. Always wait until you have a SOLID offer of new employment. When it's all signed and sealed, tell them you need to give x amount of notice, then tell your current employer.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you accepted the offer, verbally, and don't know the pay? I'm a little confused?

Wait till you have your contract, know all terms and conditions and certainly what the pay is.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Tumtitums
    Tumtitums Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The recruitment agent from the recruitment agency has said that the company want to offer me the job and i verbally said yes to the recruitment agent. I havent heard anything from the company verbally or in writing but i dont think the recruitment agent would be lying about this.

Im just trying to be considerate of my current employer as my current employer were a bit surprised when my predecessor left despite continually asking him if everything was ok So i was just thinking about giving them the heads up that i may be leaving so it doesnt come as a surprise when i resign
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tumtitums wrote: »
    Im just trying to be considerate of my current employer as my current employer were a bit surprised when my predecessor left despite continually asking him if everything was ok So i was just thinking about giving them the heads up that i may be leaving so it doesnt come as a surprise when i resign
    Look, your employer is not your best buddy or your life partner. You don't 'owe' them a heads up, and it may be better not to give one.

The only reason to do so would be if you think they could offer you something that would persuade you to stay. But if you want to move on, think very carefully about accepting anything they offer.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Tumtitums wrote: »

Ok to be pally until there is a 'conflict of interest' I had a mate who accepted her latest job in regrettably the toilet/bathroom of the ex employer and actually aware she was overheard (even then no one dobbed her in) though when she went to hand in her notice, it transpired and unknown there was a connection between the old and new employer/involved similar nature of business and she left pretty soon after that in ways she'd never have dreampt happening so be careful with this telling in advance. Sometimes it's 'Cruel to be kind' you'll find.

You do need to chase the agent up first and foremost. Though it's becoming increasingly common for the new employer to leave it until as late as possible to send out the information. The last one practically waited until they were sure it would have been my last day I swear!
  • Tumtitums
    Tumtitums Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes im not too sure about the agent as i dont think they are trying to get me as much as possible and its been a week since the agent said i have the job but i still havent heard anything from the company yet
  • Edi81
    Edi81 Posts: 1,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don’t hand in your notice until you have a written offer.
    I’ve had occasions in my company where we have interviewed, wanted to offer, told the agent and then had the funding for the role pulled due to other factors.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Don't formally hand your notice in but you can informally tell your manager you will be handing your notice in soon.

The advantage with this strategy if it gives your current employer the opportunity to offer you a package to stay before your formally hand in your notice in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure