Funeral plans/schemes, Any advice

Options
Hi,
My husband and I are both turning 50 this year, so we think it's long overdue that we look into funeral plans. Any advive? Best one, your experiences, are they actually worth it?

We want it just so it's easy for either of us, or our family.

Thank you.

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Some friends of mine in their 80's have just done this - cost £4000 each. They have got peace of mind - it concentrated their thoughts re funeral arrangements, hymn etc.

Make sure all your family know - at 50 these events could be 40 years away.

My local independent funeral director doesn't like them - for what they miss out .

Have you done your wills,? Keep a copy of your funeral plan with them.

Have you POA?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think you’re too young to do this yet.

You can make a funeral plan to guide your family about what kind of funeral you would like - if that’s a concern.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Whether you buy a funeral plan or just write one I think depends on who is going to be left to arrange it. If you just say what you want then there is no obligation to stick to what you want, or to put it another way absolutely no need to respect your wishes. A short while ago there was a thread on here that suggested that that was a totally acceptable response.

My funeral is bought & paid for, not because I think my son would not follow my wishes, but because it is something he doesn't have to deal with at a very upsetting time.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    Tamarmaid wrote: »
    Hi,
    My husband and I are both turning 50 this year, so we think it's long overdue that we look into funeral plans. Any advive? Best one, your experiences, are they actually worth it?

We want it just so it's easy for either of us, or our family.

Thank you.
    Short answer don't! Longer answer don't because they are bad value for money. The sensible thing is to discuss it with your close family so they know what YOU want and to make sure that all your relevant paperwork is eay to locate including who holds the will. . Also make sure it includes detailed notes of any gifts for IHT purposes.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Longer answer don't because they are bad value for money.

My parents paid upfront for their funerals through AgeUK and the price they paid was cheaper than the funerals would have been by the time they died.

Anyone thinking about it - read up all the small print very carefully. Some plans cover the future costs whatever they are; some only cover up to a certain amount.

What could have been a drawback with AgeUK is that they contract to a local funeral director and that can change. If you want a particular firm, find a different way of paying upfront.

If you go with a particular firm, take into account the fact that you may live in a different area of the country by the time you die.

Lots to consider!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport