Amazon Warehouse Deal

Options
Something people should be aware of when buying from Amazon Warehouse deals. These are items that have been returned by customers and are sold at a reduced price. I've done this many times before and the items have always been as good as new, so it's a good way to get an extra discount.

Yesterday I ordered a Philips Hue lighting starter kit of three bulbs plus hub and remote. The package arrived this morning and I was pleased to see the box looked like new, although it had been resealed.

However when I came to set up the system, I couldn't get the light bulbs to connect. After an hour or more of trying different things, and a phone call to Philips, I found out that the bulbs in the package were not Hue bulbs at all. It seems that a previous customer had taken out the three Hue bulbs and replaced them with three standard Philips bulbs, then returned the package to Amazon for a refund!

I've been in touch with Amazon to try to explain what's happened, although I'm not sure it was fully understood by the call centre. Anyway, my package is now on its way back and I've ordered another set.....will be interesting to see what happens this time :)

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't think that amazon would be aware of the con trick,as the customer doing the return would be unlikely to say 'they don't work' ,as the supplier would test them, so probably gave the 'not suitable for required use' excuse,meaning that the highly pressure staff just checked that the correct number of bulbs were present and not damaged. (The OP didn't know they were the wrong bulbs, so someone in the checking department is also likely to be unaware.

Amazon are very good with replacements,even on the occasion when I ,in a hurry, was convinced that I had been sent the wrong base with my phone. (The base label has the code for one handset, but is the same base issued with sets of multiples.)
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When returned to the supplier there is a very good chance they wont be tested. Either dumped into the waste to be recycled or sold off in batches.

Worked for a company that sold appliances and one supplier crushed all appliances returned to them. They used to resell but had issues with backhanders and items going missing etc. So they crushed everything and it went to recycling.

Manufacturing costs often make it less cost effective to check an item then scrap it and make a new one.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I had a warehouse deal monitor turn up, instantly I plugged it in it was obvious it was defective and presumably had been returned for that reason. Was quite upset a defective item had been resold without testing (can't have been, the lines on the monitor were very obvious).

However I was given a refund straight away and wrote all over the box that the item was defective so same thing wouldn't happen again. Hopefully.
  • Money_Grabber13579
    Options
    I’ve seen a number of comments over on the HotUKDeals website, where it seems that it is not uncommon for Philips Hue products to have been returned by customers with normal LED bulbs. It’s quite upsetting that some people are so dishonest to try and get away with this (albeit, not at all surprising).
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had a warehouse deal monitor turn up, instantly I plugged it in it was obvious it was defective and presumably had been returned for that reason. Was quite upset a defective item had been resold without testing (can't have been, the lines on the monitor were very obvious).

However I was given a refund straight away and wrote all over the box that the item was defective so same thing wouldn't happen again. Hopefully.

I bought a damaged packaging electric mincer/shredder, whose box looked as though damaged by a reaching machine. Tapes was in place and the items had not been unpacked.

However on opening I found that the plastic hopper was split, probably by the same impact tat damaged the box, but not apparent as everything was bubble wrapped.

There was no quibble, but they had no more stock and I dearly wanted the machine at almost half price, so they told me to order a replacement part from the manufacturer and then fully reimbursed me for all costs.

There is nothing to complain about as they have a no quibble returns policy at their expense (carrier), but you don't have the same service from market place dealers, so it's better to pay a little more and but direct if the item is likely to be vulnerable during delivery.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure