We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Prolific Academic Survey Alerts

1…810811813815816…1114

Comments

  • John1963
    John1963 Posts: 462
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 16 March 2023 at 4:21PM
    MollyR said:
    I think it is clearly not legitimate.  The best interpretation is that it is a Prolific script gone wrong;  the worst is that it is a scammer trying to harvest data (e-mail, date of birth) for identity theft purposes.
    My thinking exactly - they are arriving in my Prolific Messages inbox, not my personal e-mail address. I've reported the two approaches + the odd exchange now.

    Update:  I have now received two further suspicious message, one supposedly from Harvard University and the other from Pew Research.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 12,005
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I've had all these too, one of them 99 times apparently!

    For those that received them, did you participate in that fake Prolific survey a few weeks ago? I did but refused to put my password in, I'm wondering if it's something to do with that.
    Make £2026 in 2026
    Prolific £231.51, Octopoints £4.60, Tesco Clubcard challenges £38.80, Airtime £10 TCB £225.19, Everup £77.04, Roadkill £1.77,  Zopa CB £30, Misc £10.11,
    Total £629.02  31%

    Make £2025 in 2025  Total £2241.23/£2025 110.7%
    Prolific £1062.50, Octopoints £6.64, TCB £492.05, Tesco Clubcard challenges £89.90, Misc Sales £321, Airtime £70, Shopmium £53.06, Everup £106.08, Zopa CB £30, Misc survey £10

    Make £2024 in 2024 Total £1410 70%
    Make £2023 in 2023 Total: £2606.33 128.8%


  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 12,005
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    How do you report them to Prolific?
    Make £2026 in 2026
    Prolific £231.51, Octopoints £4.60, Tesco Clubcard challenges £38.80, Airtime £10 TCB £225.19, Everup £77.04, Roadkill £1.77,  Zopa CB £30, Misc £10.11,
    Total £629.02  31%

    Make £2025 in 2025  Total £2241.23/£2025 110.7%
    Prolific £1062.50, Octopoints £6.64, TCB £492.05, Tesco Clubcard challenges £89.90, Misc Sales £321, Airtime £70, Shopmium £53.06, Everup £106.08, Zopa CB £30, Misc survey £10

    Make £2024 in 2024 Total £1410 70%
    Make £2023 in 2023 Total: £2606.33 128.8%


  • John1963
    John1963 Posts: 462
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Slinky said:
    I've had all these too, one of them 99 times apparently!

    For those that received them, did you participate in that fake Prolific survey a few weeks ago? I did but refused to put my password in, I'm wondering if it's something to do with that.
    In short "yes" I think that survey asked for my Prolific e-mail address.
  • Martico
    Martico Posts: 1,255
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I've never investigated my Prolific email - is it worthwhile? And if so, how would I?
    I've always assumed that my message inbox on the site is sufficient
  • willowcat27
    willowcat27 Posts: 110
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Is it me or are there more and more bad quality studies lately?  There's been fake studies asking for personal information and lots of low paying studies.  On my submissions page, out of the last 11 studies, I've had to return 5 of them because something didn't work or it wouldn't progress past a certain page or there were no spaces left.  I hardly ever return a study because I can no longer be bothered with it, but just lately it seems that for every one I complete another one needs to be returned.
  • John1963
    John1963 Posts: 462
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Slinky said:
    How do you report them to Prolific?
    Use link below to report:

    https://participant-help.prolific.co/hc/en-gb/requests/new
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 4,047
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Sorry that some people are having problems with PA today.  After a bit of a 'drought' the storm has returned. £10.40 earned today with £5.05 bonuses due.  Some of them have been really interesting surveys too.   It's all swings and roundabouts isn't it?!
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £325 of £366
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,032
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 16 March 2023 at 8:17PM
    Yes also sorry that the dodgy study a few weeks ago appears to have resurfaced in a different guise.  Well done on being so alert.

    I've had a couple of really easy £2 in 5 minute surveys and a zoom meeting for $22 dollars scheduled for tomorrow morning.   

    Hope those having the spoof messages manage to get them blocked and sorted - perhaps ask Prolific if they can change your prolific email by a few digits?
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 12,005
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I've reported them to Prolific who say they are investigating.  They're pretty easy to spot, in that they are offering dollar amounts, and multiple emails saying the same thing.
    Make £2026 in 2026
    Prolific £231.51, Octopoints £4.60, Tesco Clubcard challenges £38.80, Airtime £10 TCB £225.19, Everup £77.04, Roadkill £1.77,  Zopa CB £30, Misc £10.11,
    Total £629.02  31%

    Make £2025 in 2025  Total £2241.23/£2025 110.7%
    Prolific £1062.50, Octopoints £6.64, TCB £492.05, Tesco Clubcard challenges £89.90, Misc Sales £321, Airtime £70, Shopmium £53.06, Everup £106.08, Zopa CB £30, Misc survey £10

    Make £2024 in 2024 Total £1410 70%
    Make £2023 in 2023 Total: £2606.33 128.8%


★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.