MSE News: Santander to scrap unarranged overdraft fees on 123 accounts

edited 26 January 2018 at 2:37PM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
11 replies 2.5K views
Former_MSE_RosieFormer_MSE_Rosie Former MSE
105 Posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Best Buy Bear
edited 26 January 2018 at 2:37PM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
Santander is to remove all unarranged overdraft fees on its current accounts that charge monthly fees, including its popular 123 and 123 Lite accounts - though a small minority could be worse off under changes to its other accounts...
Read the full story:
'Santander to scrap unarranged overdraft fees on 123 accounts'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Flag a news story: [email protected]

Replies

• MchambersMchambers Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    That is nice and generous of Santander after they reduced interest rate to 1.5% for 123 !!:rotfl::rotfl:
  • robin58robin58 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    I think the biggest question is, why do we have to wait for 6 months for the new charges or removal of charges to come into force?
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • TheJackahTheJackah Forumite
    47 Posts
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    It's a good start. With recent regulatory changes, and now this, overdrafts, including unarranged, are slightly more viable options. Do remember people, they're for short-term emergencies!
  • ChrysalisChrysalis Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    what about the arranged overdraft fees they charge? are unarranged overdrafts about to become more cheaper than arranged overdrafts O_o.
  • Am I being really dumb here? If I have an arranged overdraft with my 123 lite account post July I get chaged £1 per day for being overdrawn by £13. If I don't have an arranged overdraft post July and I go overdrawn by £13 I don't get charged anything.

In which case I might see if I can get rid of the arranged overdraft. I'll be better off.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    It makes a 123 lite account almost a no brainer for some people
  • So now this will encourage more people to 'steal' the banks money, and people who live within their means will be the ones that pay, through lower interest, reduced deals etc. Noice. Why not just prevent people from being able to go in to an unauthorised overdraft to begin with.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    jimbo747 wrote: »
    So now this will encourage more people to 'steal' the banks money, and people who live within their means will be the ones that pay, through lower interest, reduced deals etc. Noice. Why not just prevent people from being able to go in to an unauthorised overdraft to begin with.

The bank authorises payments in almost all circumstances, they then choose to allow unauthorised overdrafts.

With the abolition of Cheque Guarantee cards, it's only offline debit card transactions that they have to honour.
  • Jabba_flabbaJabba_flabba Forumite
    95 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    brutus6 wrote: »
    Am I being really dumb here? If I have an arranged overdraft with my 123 lite account post July I get chaged £1 per day for being overdrawn by £13. If I don't have an arranged overdraft post July and I go overdrawn by £13 I don't get charged anything.

In which case I might see if I can get rid of the arranged overdraft. I'll be better off.

At first glance it didn't make sense to me either. But it looks to me like unarranged overdrafts above £12 attract additional fees that arranged overdrafts don't. Like the paid-transaction fee, for example. From the table's legend in the MSE article:
    (i) If you're in an unarranged overdraft of £12 or less, you won't incur any usage fees or paid-transaction fees.

I would infer from this that for unarranged overdrafts above £12, a fee would apply, but then the table itself begs to differ ("No fee").

FWIW, here's a link to the official Santander announcement

Yours,
    Confused (in a slightly different way)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    At first glance it didn't make sense to me either. But it looks to me like unarranged overdrafts above £12 attract additional fees that arranged overdrafts don't. Like the paid-transaction fee, for example. From the table's legend in the MSE article:

I would infer from this that for unarranged overdrafts above £12, a fee would apply, but then the table itself begs to differ ("No fee").

FWIW, here's a link to the official Santander announcement

Yours,
    Confused (in a slightly different way)

After 18 months you’d think the poster you’re replying too would have this sorted by now :)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides