We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Cancel Only Credit Card
allyant
Posts: 12 Forumite
Hi Folks,
I currently have an Amex Platinum Cashback Credit Card with a credit limit of £17,000 that gets paid off every month.
Due to the cashback amount going down and starting a new job with a lot more travel (= expenses) I have moved over to the Gold Rewards card for the points.
The problem is the Gold card is a Charge card not a Credit like the cashback one, if I cancel it will it negatively effect my credit rating as my credit utilisation % will go up a lot?
I am looking to apply for a mortgage in next 3 months so being religious about my report.
I do have one other CC - balance transfer 0% with £3000 on, with a low credit limit of £4000.
Thanks!
Edit: Just noticed title says *only* - typo!
I currently have an Amex Platinum Cashback Credit Card with a credit limit of £17,000 that gets paid off every month.
Due to the cashback amount going down and starting a new job with a lot more travel (= expenses) I have moved over to the Gold Rewards card for the points.
The problem is the Gold card is a Charge card not a Credit like the cashback one, if I cancel it will it negatively effect my credit rating as my credit utilisation % will go up a lot?
I am looking to apply for a mortgage in next 3 months so being religious about my report.
I do have one other CC - balance transfer 0% with £3000 on, with a low credit limit of £4000.
Thanks!
Edit: Just noticed title says *only* - typo!
0
Comments
-
You don't have a credit rating that will be affected. No one does.
Keep it open as it's useful as a backup and probably holds a key component to your credit history0 -
I agree you should have an open credit card, however keeping the Amex wouldn't make sense if there is a yearly fee. If there is, close it and get something else.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
