Is there a product that actually works to stregnthen nails?

Options

Comments

• Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,309 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    jenniewb wrote: »
    The trouble is, it was by doing this they went from being weak and bendy, to peeling apart :undecided

Sorry to hear that. I’m wondering if there is a genetic component here.
  • bspm
    bspm Posts: 541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    :heart2:Sunshine
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,410 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Another one for OPI nail envy, best thing I have ever used, makes my nails grow really quickly too and comes in a variety of shades including clear and matt.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • Jox
    Jox Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Biotin tablets are supposed to be good for hair and nails. I have been taken them all throughout Jan and my hair is longer and nails seem stronger. I got mine from ebay about £9 for a year's supply.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Murphybear wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. I’m wondering if there is a genetic component here.
    No, it's more likely to be nutritional than genetic- both my mother and sister regularly have nails done, gel nails and whatever else- I don't wear anything and they have better nails than I do! I think it could be a low iron thing which is something I am working on but could also be about being run down and it being winter and etc. I don't always have this problem it's just that in the last few months it's gotten beyond a joke and the peeling has become painful when my nails are already so short there is little if any white tip there and then they continue to fray...
  • jenniewb
    Options
    Jox wrote: »
    Biotin tablets are supposed to be good for hair and nails. I have been taken them all throughout Jan and my hair is longer and nails seem stronger. I got mine from ebay about £9 for a year's supply.

I'd bee taking some pills with biotin in them (brand is called "Inner Me" and I had thought they'd really help- so if there is anything psychosomatic in it, it was lost on me! After 2-3 months now with no change I've given up on them this week after they ran out I wont be repurchasing! (And just hoping things done get any worse!)
  • jenniewb
    Options
    bspm wrote: »
    :heart2:Sunshine

Well, I already spend a good 20 mins outside walking from station to bus stop to building...etc but maybe the sun is too far away atm (it is winter and this is what happens). It would explain why I don't have such an issue in the summer though!
  • Starrystarrynight1
    Options
    Protein is vital to healthy nails, rather than calcium as is usually advised. Do you have enough proteins in your diet?

I'm not sure if they still exist, but Nailtiques prescriptive manicures might help you. The technician takes account of the state of your nails and 'prescribes' a product that should help to improve your nails. I trained in it years ago but can't remember much now. I'm sure Google will be able to help.

I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
  • jenniewb
    Options
    Protein is vital to healthy nails, rather than calcium as is usually advised. Do you have enough proteins in your diet?

I'm not sure if they still exist, but Nailtiques prescriptive manicures might help you. The technician takes account of the state of your nails and 'prescribes' a product that should help to improve your nails. I trained in it years ago but can't remember much now. I'm sure Google will be able to help.
    It's lack of iron which (sorry if I sound like I'm repeating myself) I am working on (it's not a case of swallowing a pill and it's sorted it takes time) my blood tests are fine nutritionally other than this so I don't think it is anything nutritionally more than this but I can't help wondering about moisture and etc- those things wont be picked up on a test. I do drink enough water but obviously with air-con and the daily use of gloves and so on, it all takes it's toll. What I guess I'm needing to do is a patch-up job until things are better but until then it's a bit of a problem because my nails are so weak and it's beginning to get painful.
    I do get enough protein though.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,086 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I have been prone to brittle or splitting nails and found that massaging the nail beds each night really helps solve it. My choice to use is Burts Bees Lemon cuticle cream though I understand it’s more the massage than the product which matters.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure