Is there a product that actually works to stregnthen nails?

Options
I have weak nails. I know why I have weaker nails. They were at first very bendy and would regularly bend backwards if they got too long.

I used a paint on product to make them stronger and now they are peeling as well as too bendy!!
Is there anything, beyond nutrition (I am already working on that) that anyone has tried that I can do to stop my nails peeling?

So far I've tried a Sally Hanson product (in a blue pot- thrown it away since I tried it) and a nail base with Kale from Nails Inc. I didn't used to have peeling nails- these products made things worse!

Comments

• serena9
    serena9 Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I used to have the same issues and started having gel nails, not just the paint the actual fake nails, my own nails had a chance to grow under them and now I no longer need the fake nails, I understand it's not everyone's way but it worked wonderfully for me, just a note of caution if you want to try this, only use a nail salon that doesn't use any machinery to file nails :
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,261 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    O.P.I nail envy....really good product
  • skint_chick
    Options
    Coconut oil worked wonders on my nails when I stupidly picked off a gel manicure, the virgin oil that you can get in the supermarket. Try and keep your hands out of water as much as possible and avoid any chemicals or products with complicated ingredients. I can also highly recommend great lakes collagen (the green tub) as a supplement - I add a spoonful to my hot drinks twice a day. It's pricey but sorted out my hair, nails, and skin and works out cheaper than taking skin vitamins or buying fancy products.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better." Paul Theroux
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,614 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I've had real success with Argan Oil. More growth and more strength.

Yes it's the latest beauty fad but it works.

I buy the neat oil on eBay, put a few drops on cotton wool & rub into nails then let air dry.
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I've found that taking supplements specifically for this purpose helped me.
    ally.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I like CND Solaroil - you can buy weeny bottles of it on ebay for a couple of pounds and I find it helps with my nails. I put a bit on before bed and just let it dry. It's great too if you have dry skin around your nails.
  • LuxuryWoman
    Options
    I have fabulous nails (only part of me that is!) and I don't buy products but rub in a little oil every night around the nail bed - any oil will do but I like Sweet Almond. I keep mine longish, but not crazy long just about 2mm above the tip of the finger. You want the nails to be a bit flexible, too hard and they break like glass. As much as I love 'products' I don't think they are necessary for nails tbh.
  • Tj_jaggs
    Options
    I was always advised that eating raw jelly strengthens ur nails, also that dark nail varnish makes ur nails grow quick n light nail varnish strengthens them. My nails are brittle and I can bend them, so I always use dark varnish - just to make them at least grow - and they do actually seem to grow really quickly - and I just keep filing them to help to strengthen them and stop them from breaking

x
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 31 January 2018 at 5:06PM
    Options
    I like Nail Envy as well and found a bottle of China Glaze oil with natural orange scent at TKMaxx for very little money. It is very concentrated and a tiny bit goes a long way so is going to last for years. I suspect almond oil or olive oil will work as well.

I do have good nails and found by keeping them polished with base coat, 2 costs of polish and top cost makes them much tougher and they dont break very easily. Being retired I have the luxury of spending lots of time on my nails and it really makes a difference.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Murphybear wrote: »

I do have good nails and found by keeping them polished with base coat, 2 costs of polish and top cost makes them much tougher and they dont break very easily.
    The trouble is, it was by doing this they went from being weak and bendy, to peeling apart :undecided
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure