MSE News: Future Energy ceases trading...

edited 29 January 2018 at 1:53PM in Energy
7 replies 1.7K views
MSE_CallumMSE_Callum Forumite
696 Posts
Third Anniversary 10 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
✭✭
edited 29 January 2018 at 1:53PM in Energy
Future Energy, an energy supplier with about 10,000 domestic customers mainly in North East England and Yorkshire, has ceased trading...
Read the full story:
'Future Energy ceases trading - what it means for customers'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: [email protected]
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail

Replies

• chocoholic_chickchocoholic_chick Forumite
    666 Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭
    Just seen this on the news, had no email notifying me that they'd ceased trading. I had an email on Tuesday to say they were upping my DD by £25 a month, but I've no idea what my balance is with them as, despite providing regular meter readings, I've only received ONE bill since being with them, which was June 2017! I understand if I've got a credit balance the funds are protected, but how am I meant to check this if I've never had a bill and I can't access my account online?!
    New House... New Mortgage! February 2017: £144,000 :eek:
    Current Mortgage Balance: £96,440.99
    2017 OP's:£5,935 2018 OP's: £11,956.00 2019 OP's: £11,988 2020 OP's: £1,998
    Total Debt[STRIKE] £29,209[/STRIKE] £0 :j:j:j Debt free 6/8/16
  • matelodavematelodave Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    You could have checked on line or even kept your own records
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • chocoholic_chickchocoholic_chick Forumite
    666 Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭
    matelodave wrote: »
    You could have checked on line or even kept your own records

I did check online, the bills were never generated, it would accept the readings but not produce new bills.
    New House... New Mortgage! February 2017: £144,000 :eek:
    Current Mortgage Balance: £96,440.99
    2017 OP's:£5,935 2018 OP's: £11,956.00 2019 OP's: £11,988 2020 OP's: £1,998
    Total Debt[STRIKE] £29,209[/STRIKE] £0 :j:j:j Debt free 6/8/16
  • lstar337lstar337 Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    presumably you know your open read + tariff details?

Just a simple case of using you opening read/current read + tariff details and dates to work it out.

You shouldn't have to, but here we are.

If I were you I would be doing it now anyway to make sure you get what you are actually owed when the dust settles.
  • footyguyfootyguy Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Just seen this on the news, had no email notifying me that they'd ceased trading. I had an email on Tuesday to say they were upping my DD by £25 a month, but I've no idea what my balance is with them as, despite providing regular meter readings, I've only received ONE bill since being with them, which was June 2017! I understand if I've got a credit balance the funds are protected, but how am I meant to check this if I've never had a bill and I can't access my account online?!

I suspect a new bill/statement will be produced in due course covering the period from June 2017.

But what you really want to ensure is all your credits are accounted for. Your bank can tell you what payments you have made
    :)
  • matelodavematelodave Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I did check online, the bills were never generated, it would accept the readings but not produce new bills.

If I'd not seen a bill or statement on line for a month or so then I would have kept my own record just so I could check it when one eventually came along.

In fact that's what I still do, despite being able to see my account on line.

When the online account goe's down or disappears for some reason you have no evidence of your payments or consumption unless you laboriously go through your bank statements (assuming thatyou've got access to them) and try to remember energy meter readings.

It's also a good idea to download a PDF of youron-line statements or bills and save them in a folder on your computer so you've got your own records for when something like this happens.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    25.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have a bill so you have some historic reads and unit prices / daily charges. You have access to your meters so have your current read. You will have access to your bank statements so can find out how much you have paid them. With a spreadsheet or a pencil, paper and calculator the answer can be worked out. If you have gas and want to be really accurate you can find out your calorific value here http://mip-prod-web.azurewebsites.net/DataItemExplorer/Index
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides