Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

New Cats - anything I've missed out?

edited 24 January 2018 at 9:40PM in Pets & pet care
8 replies 1.3K views
FairyShazzaFairyShazza Forumite
1.3K Posts
edited 24 January 2018 at 9:40PM in Pets & pet care
After I had to say goodbye to my beloved companion of 17 years back in November we are now ready to give a home to some new fur babies.

Tomorrow I am collecting these two sisters aged between 5 - 6 from a local rescue charity.
EV4Q

I have allocated them a room to themselves with a soft warm bed, sofa covered with a big fluffy blanket, food and water (double bowl each) litter tray, toys, somewhere to hide and access to get high up and look around. I've also ordered a Felliway plug in which I will put in their room. Is there anything I've forgotten? It's been a long time since I've had young cats coming into the house.

We have two children aged 4 and almost 7. They know we are getting the cats and I've explained they are a lot smaller/younger than our previous cat. I will be bringing the cats home when they are at school so I can try and spend some time sitting in the room with them before I pick up the kids. My plan is to individually introduce them to the cats when they come home from school for a short time only. The cats will remain in their room for the next week or so. If they settle well I may let them put to explore other areas of the house when the children are at school but will try to have a short amount of time where each child is going into the room with them (always under supervision).

Does anyone have any more hints and tips for me on how I can make the transition and integration go as smoothly and stress free as possible?
One day Rodney we'll be millionaires
£2020 in 2020 - Running Total £17

Replies

• Nana told me to butter their paws!

No they’re cats. Our last bu99er, Raffles, hid under the sofa for two days, the ran off, came to the bowl when he was hungry. We just feed him. If we don’t feed him, he gets his own. In all, there is no way to tell about the blighters. Raffles, just loves the chicken treat sticks.

Oh, good luck with them!
  • Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Wonderful to have 2

The cats will be fine as will the children once the novelty has worn off.

Just had a 2 yo rehomed girl myself and she made herself at home within a day and was going out after 4. She's bossy and trying to dominate the older male cat - most of the time they get on fine but occasionally she chases him, the fur flies and she comes back with a bloody nose and the next day she does the same again
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Don't forget - 1st rule for having a cat - you are 'Staff'.

That is, while you may have your ideas, the cat(s) will have theirs - often they are different!!

I remember, when I picked up my previous cat as a kitten going back to 1988. Wouldn't eat any cat food, eventually tucked into some raw liver (belly nearly touched the floor). Later, I left her in the kitchen, and went to bed. But not for long - soon brought her up, after hearing her pitiful meows!!

Cats love being able to look out of windows - do have net curtains, blinds etc? Net curtains - won't last long with a cat, and be aware they could get entangled in blinds.

Do yo have carpeted floors/ stairs in the house? Our mistake was putting in new stair & landing carpet six-months before new (mature) cat - wool carpets are especially to be avoided.

Good luck, enjoy the fun, and expect a scratches!
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • no1catman wrote: »
    Don't forget - 1st rule for having a cat - you are 'Staff'.

That is, while you may have your ideas, the cat(s) will have theirs - often they are different!!

I remember, when I picked up my previous cat as a kitten going back to 1988. Wouldn't eat any cat food, eventually tucked into some raw liver (belly nearly touched the floor). Later, I left her in the kitchen, and went to bed. But not for long - soon brought her up, after hearing her pitiful meows!!

Cats love being able to look out of windows - do have net curtains, blinds etc? Net curtains - won't last long with a cat, and be aware they could get entangled in blinds.

Do yo have carpeted floors/ stairs in the house? Our mistake was putting in new stair & landing carpet six-months before new (mature) cat - wool carpets are especially to be avoided.

Good luck, enjoy the fun, and expect a scratches!

Our only carpeted area is the stairs and landing and its on its last legs. We are probably looking at replacing it later this year so if they do scratch it or have any accidents on it there's no massive issue.

There's a roller blind in the window n the room they will be starting off in but its always lifted up and the cords are hidden away. No net curtains - I can envisage fhem sitting on the window sill and watching everything going on outside.

My previous two cats settled in without any issues so hoping these will be ok too.
  • Congratulations on the new cats!

If there's any chance that they may go outside, collars with bells are a very good idea to help protect local wildlife, and it may be worth adding a small ID tag with a contact number on in case they run in to any trouble while they are out.

I really like these ones as they're reflective for a bit of extra protection from cars and the like, plus have a quick release clip so they break away if your cat gets stuck - plus not too expensive to replace if they go missing!

https://www.petconnection.ie/ancol-safe-reflective-cat-collar-c2x24281350
  • hazyjohazyjo Forumite
    15.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Remember to plug the Feliway into a socket in advance - check the instructions.

Personally I think a week might be a tad too long. They're nosy by nature and I've always found it best to just ignore them and let them explore and come to you (maybe shut a few rooms off for now). If the kids go into the room, it may just make them panic. Depends on their history and how timid they are I suppose. I left my most recent cat for a few days in a room and he was fine, but as soon as he realised we had another cat, he was literally lying on his side and tugging the door with both his paws like a cartoon to get out. OMG the strength lol. (He adores cats.)

I suppose all I can say is trust your instincts and go with what feels right rather than following a text book to the letter.
    2021 wins: noise cancelling headphones
  • Jojo_the_TightfistedJojo_the_Tightfisted Forumite
    27.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Your children could put the food bowls down - that way the new arrivals associate them with good things from the outset, rather than scary, overexcited and overwhelming creatures that just want to 'get' them [when they only want to play or cuddle them].
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Thanks for all the responses - it's been almost a week now and they have settled in really well :)

I just listened to my instincts and they were out and roaming the house within a day and have been enjoying finding their favourite places to sleep - including my lap!

I've got them collars with loud bells and name tags engraved with their names and our house number, postcode and phone number (they are already microchipped).

They are adorable little cats and are so affectionate. We decided to call them Wispa and Rolo in the end. They are still a little wary of the kids but tbh the kids are a little wary of them - I've only just seen the advice about getting the kids to put the food bowls down so will try that :)

I was going to put up some pictures but I can't get them to work :(
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco