Red card - international parcel

Options
We have had a red card for an international parcel to collect at the sorting office!? Any ideas anyone? Or did anyone else have an international parcel today? could there be customs charges?

Comments

• Blueyez
    Blueyez Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    Options
    It usually means charges when an international parcel needs collecting. They clear it through customs and you pay them.
    2018 wins-12wins
  • moreofthegoodstuff
    Options
    Even though they tried to deliver it? It just says international parcel - signature required. Will they let us look before paying? I’m worried it’s a scam or something!

Edit - I just checked and the Royal Mail site says it will be a grey card if there’s a fee.
  • dontone
    dontone Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 January 2018 at 1:46PM
    Options
    The last time we had something delivered from America, it was a grey card push through the letterbox and an amount (£30 :mad::eek:)* clearly stated.
    Is there a tracking number on the card? It might have something online stating an amount.
    BTW, find the number of your sorting office and give them a ring. Don't ring any numbers on the card (just in case)
    Sorry I can't be of any more help. Hope it's something good though. Well done :T
    Be Lucky

*£30 customs charge..... the items was only worth £15. At least a certain highwayman wore a mask.... :mad:
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Recently had a grey card, £12 to pay. £8 was royal mail handling fee. Once paid they delivered the parcel.
    Your's is just collect and sign.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • moreofthegoodstuff
    Options
    No tracking! I shall update when I know!! :D probably nothing but you never know!
  • Blueyez
    Options
    Even though they tried to deliver it? It just says international parcel - signature required. Will they let us look before paying? I’m worried it’s a scam or something!
    There was a scam like that last year that was mentioned in papers. Don't pay for anything over the phone/online to "have your parcel delivered" until you have contacted the delivery service directly. is it Royal mail? They often just have the postie deliver the card (not bring the parcel) and you have to go up to the depot, pay and collect (this is also the policy for not enough postage paid on items) I don't know if they will let you look at it first. It might be worth going through any comps you've entered and checking Ts&Cs for dispatch info. Or have you bought something.
    2018 wins-12wins
  • Blueyez
    Options
    dontone wrote: »
    The last time we had something delivered from America, it was a grey card push through the letterbox and an amount (£30 :mad::eek:)* clearly stated.
    Is there a tracking number on the card? It might have something online stating an amount.
    BTW, find the number of your sorting office and give them a ring. Don't ring any numbers on the card (just in case)
    Sorry I can't be of any more help. Hope it's something good though. Well done :T
    Be Lucky

*£30 customs charge..... the items was only worth £15. At least a certain highwayman wore a mask.... :mad:
    They clear it "on your behalf" then charge you that plus a fee for doing it! it's not like you have a choice either.
    2018 wins-12wins
  • moreofthegoodstuff
    Options
    My heads ticking away thinking of the Swarovski avent but no doubt it will be face cream or something :D
  • dontone
    dontone Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Blueyez wrote: »
    They clear it "on your behalf" then charge you that plus a fee for doing it! it's not like you have a choice either.

I know, I think they have a cheek. If they said 'we'll charge you a fiver for handling it and taking it to the collection office' I wouldn't mind paying that, but £30 is outrageous.
    Like you say, you don't have a choice, it's a rip off.
    Be Lucky
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
  • Blueyez
    Options
    dontone wrote: »
    I know, I think they have a cheek. If they said 'we'll charge you a fiver for handling it and taking it to the collection office' I wouldn't mind paying that, but £30 is outrageous.
    Like you say, you don't have a choice, it's a rip off.
    Be Lucky
    Totally. It varies by courier as well.
    2018 wins-12wins
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills