We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

LV and Santander Nightmare

Hi

This is my first time here and I wanted to know if anyone can advise a course of action to this horrible situation.

So in November 2017 I was driving my car on the motorway and I was hot from behind by another driver. He accepted liability and his insurance company paid out. My car was a write off and no one was hurt thankfully.

Moving on, I contacts my insurance company and asked what was the policy with paying out for the vehicle. They informed me that they would pay out the current value of my car directly to the finance company Santander via cheque.

The amount to pay was £6999 which left about £400 left to pay off the remaining finance amount. So I expected to continue 2 more months of payments to Santander from my account.

Moving on 4 weeks I began to get letter from Santander about being in arrears. So I called them and told them about the large payout and the car being written off. They told me they did not know about any payment or car write off.
So I contacted my insurance company and asked them if the money had been cashed by Santander and they said yes 1 month ago.

So I called Santander and gave permission for my car insurance company to talk with them on my behalf. Santander denied all knowledge of any payment to my finance agreement.

Fact: the finance agreement number had been written on the back of the cheque from LV to Santander and LV made me aware that this amount of money had been cashed by Santander.

I am currently awaiting the physical image of the cheque from LV to prove evidence that they actually did send the cheque this takes between 6-8 weeks apparently.

So I am being chased but Santander for money they have obviously placed towards someone else's finance agreement. Why would LV lie about money being cashed by Santander. Especially since they got the finance agreement number from Santander via my vehicle registration number or some database.

So for sure I know I'm in a win win situation as either LV are lying or Santander made a massive mistake.

I want to 1. Get compensation and also this smells like a breech of FSA rules somewhere.

2.Reverse the negative mark on my credit file put on by Santander

Can anyone advise where I can turn??

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,505 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    2 posts on the same subject !

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 13,156 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    molerat wrote: »
    2 posts on the same subject !
    There's 4 now
    Never pay on an estimated bill. Always read and understand your bill
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.