Trains Gatwick to London plus underground

edited 23 January 2018 at 10:09AM in Public Transport & Cycling
11 replies 2.4K views
dneedlestonedneedlestone Forumite
2 Posts
edited 23 January 2018 at 10:09AM in Public Transport & Cycling
Hello,
I'm coming to London in 10 days with a group of 2 adults and 7 teenagers (age 14).
Despite growing up in London I'm bamboozled by the train options and trying to find the cheapest one.
I've found a return ticket (via southern rail website) from Gatwick Airport to New Barnet station for £79.50 for the whole group. It says it's a flexible off-peak ticket with travel permitted via any permitted route and breaks in the journey allowed.
The problem is on the return journey I probably won't want to Begin the journey in New Barnet - will I be allowed to begin the journey at another mainline or even underground station?
Likewise on the route from the airport am I allowed to take an alternate route which would terminate at an underground station (which according the journey planner is faster).

I've searched and search for answers and explanations but can't find one. I understand I can transfer via underground stations and that I can "break the journey" but it's not clear if I can only break the journey in central london and if breaking includes starting elsewhere!

Many thanks to any train TFL experts!

PS if anyone has any better ideas for travel let me know. I will be getting Oyster cards activated with young visitor discount but this still means that children pay half adult fare.

Replies

• Voyager2002Voyager2002 Forumite
    14.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The answer to your specific question would depend on whether the ticket says it is to London Zone 3 (or whichever zone), or to New Barnet.

In general, the fares available for groups of four or more passengers are likely to offer better value than anything quoted on-line, so I think you need to contact the ToC directly.
  • t0rt0iset0rt0ise Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    As GatwicK and New Barnet are National Rail stations unless the ticket includes a Travelcard you can't use it on the Underground at all.

If you look for tickets Gatwick to Victoria with Travelcards you would pay about the same price on certain trains which seems to make far more sense.
  • edited 23 January 2018 at 11:01PM
    KeithPKeithP Forumite
    26.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 January 2018 at 11:01PM
    t0rt0ise wrote: »
    As GatwicK and New Barnet are National Rail stations unless the ticket includes a Travelcard you can't use it on the Underground at all.
    You are mistaken.

Just one example:
    An Off Peak Day Return from Gatwick to New Barnet route any permitted allows a cross London journey by tube.

A typical journey with that ticket might be:
    Gatwick to London Victoria using Southern Railway
    London Victoria to Finsbury Park using London Underground Victoria Line
    Finsbury Park to New Barnet using Great Northern

Whether or not that is the most appropriate ticket for the OP is another question.

There are hundreds (if not thousands) of other routes from National Rail station to National Rail station where a cross London Underground transfer is included without a Travelcard being necessary or included.
  • lammy82lammy82 Forumite
    560 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    The ticket should show the '' symbol if it's valid for a transfer via London Underground.
    If your journey involves travelling via, or across London to connect with another National Rail service, your ticket should include the cost of transfer on London Underground, DLR or Thameslink services between the relevant main London stations.

For example - a Hastings to York ticket is valid for travel on Underground services between Victoria, Charing Cross, Cannon Street or London Bridge and Kings Cross/St Pancras or on Thameslink services from London Bridge or Blackfriars to St. Pancras International.

To check if the cost of travel across London is included in your ticket, look for the ‘†' symbol which will be shown in the tickets ‘Route' information, e.g. [‘†' ANY PERMITTED].

Tickets displaying this indicator are valid for travel between any two stations shown in the ‘Station List' (below) appropriate to the route of the through journey being made.

You can ‘break your transfer journey' and leave the Underground at any intermediate station, e.g. if you are travelling between Victoria and Euston you can exit at Oxford Circus. However, if you subsequently wish to continue your journey by Underground you will have to purchase another ticket.
    Source
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    48.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 2 adults can simply use contactless debit cards, since Gatwick is now in the Oyster zone. No need for Oystercards for them.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • The various replies are appreciated though don't half confirm how confusing it all is!
    I'll ask the train operator.
    Using contactless might be best for the return journey but not for the way out as Southern do childrens tickets for £2 when travelling with adult as well as adult group tickets. We can get a travelcard for all adults children from Gatwick for £40 for whoel group which is good value - unfortunately you can't seem to get a Travelcard with end destination as Gatwick (only start). The return ticket I asked about was under £80 for the whole group whereas a return to Victoria for the whole group is slight more expensive somehow!
    I'll ask the train operator and see what answer they give me but I assume I'll have to buy two separate tickets for way out and return so will probably spend an extra £20 or so doing this including underground transfers for return leg :-(
  • pompeyrichpompeyrich Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    A travelcard is a return ticket that includes tube bus and trains in zones 1-6. So if you buy a travelcard at Gatwick you can travel to London use it to go to Barnet or wherever in the zones and for the return to Gatwick. Try a Southern only or Thames link only t/c
  • pompeyrichpompeyrich Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    What time and day are you travelling? The cheapest ticket I've found, so far, is £47.20. to get this you have to leave Gatwick on a Thameslink train but once you get to East Croydon or beyond you can change to any train as the travelcard bit will cover this. You will also have to get Thameslink back to Gatwick, you can pick this up at East Croydon or any other station that Thameslink serve.

This is an off peak travelcard fare and can be used anytime at weekends but the first train you can catch on Mon-Fri is the 09:33 from Gatwick. To get this fare you have to book as 3 adults and 6 children. Enter your journey details HERE then when the fares show, look to the right and click on the buy a travelcard, in orange to see details. You can getthis fare at the station on the day so no need to pre book.
  • glider3560glider3560 Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    2 adults and 7 children for Gatwick Airport to London Zones 1-6 Travelcard is £45.90 according to Southern website.

Covers all tube, National Rail and DLR within Zones 1-6 plus all London buses.

• glider3560glider3560 Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    glider3560 wrote: »
    2 adults and 7 children for Gatwick Airport to London Zones 1-6 Travelcard is £45.90 according to Southern website.

Covers all tube, National Rail and DLR within Zones 1-6 plus all London buses.
    Note that's for 3 adults and 6 children. Children can travel as adults on GroupSave offers.

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides