Credit card fraud dispute declined

Options
Hello!

I am in some need of advice: I have a credit card account with Creation.co.uk on which a fraudulent transaction of a substantial sum (1,000+ GBP) took place in August 2017. Having moved abroad and not checking this account, I only noticed this in December 2017 and immediately called Creation to dispute the transaction. They have now declined taking this further since apparently the timeframe in which they can intervene in a customer's dispute has expired.

Does any of you have any experience with this, any advice on how to approach this and whether there is any hope of retrieving this sum? Would really appreciate your help. Thank you in advance!

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,573 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Report it to the police and get a crime number.

If they attempt to contact you just give them the crime number.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 29,016 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Do as advised above, best via :

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report_fraud

I would be more concerned as to how anyone had got hold of my credit card details, they must physically of had the card, or seen it, or know a lot about you to pass security.

Quite worrying.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Nowhere near enough information here to make any kind of decision.
    At the end of the day a fraud is a fraud but a chargeback you only have 120 days to action.
    Please come back with more information.
  • Attah
    Options
    Hey @jonesMUFC... what additional info would you need? I have passed the 120 day mark by 14 days apparently.
  • seatbeltnoob
    seatbeltnoob Posts: 1,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    do you actively use this creation credit card? why didn't you check the balance each month and if not used you really should close accounts like this.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Attah wrote: »
    Having moved abroad....
    Did you advise them of this, as required by their Ts & Cs?
    You must immediately notify us in writing of any change in your home or work address, telephone numbers or name
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,713 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If someone diddled me out of a grand, I’d know very quickly.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    A single transaction of £1000? That's not how fraudsters tend to work - they make a test transaction, if that works they take every penny they can get.

You will struggle to persuade Creation that it was fraudulent, especially after so much time has passed.

However, missing the chargeback window doesn't make you liable for fraud. You should raise a formal complaint with Creation.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Attah wrote: »
    Hey @jonesMUFC... what additional info would you need? I have passed the 120 day mark by 14 days apparently.

So was it fraud or are you claiming for something not received?
    The credit card would have got in touch with you if you had not made at least the minimum payments - would this have not raised alarm bells for you?
    The rest re addresses etc has been posted by others.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure