Credit card help - is this a good idea?

Options
I currently have approx £2800 owed on two different credit cards.
Both are fairly high interest cards and am struggling to make a dent on either since splitting with my partner and living on my sole income with two kids.
Anyhow, I’m thinking of switching both the debts to a new credit card on a balance transfer deal so that the £100 that I can afford to pay each month will get this paid off in 28 months.
I have looked online and found a deal with HSBC offering 0% on balance transfers for 32 months, £25 cash back, 1.4% balance transfer fee. My credit score is around the 820 mark according to Experian and looking at moneysupermarket I have a 7/10 chance of acceptance.
Should I go for this?
Messing around with credit cards scares me for some reason but I really want to get these debts paid off and back to clean slate. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Only go for it if you can trust yourself to close the other cards if/when you transfer.

There is also no guarantee you will get a high enough limit if successful but some at 0% is better than none.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's certainly worth an application, if you would like to pay less interest. Try the eligibility checker on here for further options.

Equally, look at cutting costs and throwing more money at the debt.
  • 4everskint
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. Yes, I intend on cutting up the cards and then putting the new card away in my safe and not wallet to stop more spending!
    Believe me, if I could free up anymore cash - I would!
    I know so may not get the full 2800 I need on the new card but as you say some at 0% is better than none.
  • 4everskint
    Options
    The eligibility checker on here gives me a 70% chance of acceptance too...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure