Dusty's Frugal Fortnights

edited 16 May 2018 at 11:28AM in Debt Free Diaries
667 replies 42.4K views

Replies

• edited 18 May 2018 at 5:31PM
    dustydiggerdustydigger Forumite
    712 posts
    edited 18 May 2018 at 5:31PM
    Yesterday,Thursday,was day of the week to do some preparation for the visitors. I decided to start the kitchen ceiling.I was unable to locate my masking tape,so I carefully worked my way round the edge of the ceiling with a 4inch brush,to make a border of paint so that I wouldnt put paint below on the walls when I used the roller. I was about 2/3rds round when Mr Dusty decided to ''help'' since he said I was too slow,would take all day. He does so not heed directions as I told him not to touch the walls. I thought possibly I could get away with only washing the walls,but the ceiling was very bad,it hasnt been done in years and years,ever since my knees and arthritis in my shoulder made it too difficult for me.. Of course he went over the edge onto the walls,and when he used the roller he was rolling right to the wall,leaving paint marks several inches below the ceiling,so I have to do the walls,which are a magnolia colour, after all.:mad::mad:
    On top of that he would just push the roller in any direction,or dab here and there,or did thick patches then leave patches uncovered which looked horrendous when it dried.:eek: So it certainly needs a second coat.Cue me having to stand on the ladders since the roller is only a shortish one,difficult to reach the ceiling when on the ground. I deserve a medal for the fact I have not strangled him.:D:D
    As I said in an earlier post I expected problems when we work together,he just hasnt a clue about decorating,and wont take direction. I will do the ceiling on Sunday,giving my shoulders a rest after using muscles I normally dont use in doing the ceiling.Tomorrow its the royal wedding then Mr Dusty watching the cup final.I will be restored probably by Sunday.Second coat of the ceiling,and wash the walls ready to start painting them probably Monday and Tuesday.
    Today I managed to use my steam carpet cleaner to do the sitting room carpet. I took up the old rug,a massive 8 feet by 5 feet that my daughter gave me a couple of years ago,which I didnt like,and am back to just the old carpet,very faded and worn after 8 years of the thundering herds trampling around,but the room looks much bigger without the rug.I was hoping to get a new carpet next year,before the expected visit from USA,but no chance now. Anyway,now there are two new great grandkids to be spilling things all over the carpet,so another year's (mis)use will be sensible before getting a new one:rotfl:
    I so dont like modern carpets though,I think all those beiges,greys and browns look so cold and industrial. I have no idea what kind of carpet to get. Certainly I will never get laminate flooring or the like,again its not cosy. I am just an old dinosaur I'm afraid where decor is concerned,I would love a nice old fashioned floral carpet,but I'm sure my daughters would raise hell. I remember years ago seeing a beautiful carpet ,a mere £48 a square yard,which I would love,but is ever so slightly beyond my means, a mere £680.......ah you can but dream :)
    Anyway I wrestled with the carpet cleaner,so heavy and cumbersome,and the result isnt too bad. But the water was really really dirty,chocolate brown,I feel ashamed:D
    All thats left to do in the sitting-room is wash the cream leather suite,and do the paintings and dust,so thats one room pretty much sorted. :T
    SPC 2019 # 012 - House & Home Fund 2019 - £35 (+ c/f from 2018= £566) AF Mar-Nov 269 days+ Dec 19/24 Books read 2018:153 Prolific £5.20
    total savings 2018:£1992:jcard xmas savings 2018:£145:)£2 Savers 2018 - £220

• dustydiggerdustydigger Forumite
    712 posts
    My heel is almost healed now,hope to get out on Monday to get my doormats,napkins,salad bowl forks, and other odds and ends.A new mop,especially and a new dustpan and shovel,I stood on the last one and broke it:rotfl:
    My new kitchen bin arrived today,same sort as my last one,but black instead of cream - easier to keep clean,that one was scratched and scruffy after 7 years of use,but it has served me well. Good old Prolific surveys,my £20 cashout is proving very useful for all these odds and ends,and it means Mr Dusty cant complain I am wasting our money on inessentials when there are so many other things we need,food and transport costs in particular. :j
    SPC 2019 # 012 - House & Home Fund 2019 - £35 (+ c/f from 2018= £566) AF Mar-Nov 269 days+ Dec 19/24 Books read 2018:153 Prolific £5.20

• lonelyratlonelyrat Forumite
    566 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Lol about wanting to live in a hotel! I don't mind cleaning so much but I'm not a good cook and find it really quite stressful/ boring sometimes so I would invest in a personal chef to cook all my meals :rotfl:

Sounds like it's all go dusty! Well done on everything your doing and I'm sure it will be worth it when the visit happens! Tsk tsk Mr. Dusty getting involved and messing up the painting! Typical men haha! :o

Glad your heel is healing (heehee) :cool:
    Total Debt : ?? / ??
  • SystemSystem
    177.7K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Dusty only just started reading your diary , but I do love how you write things.

Hope the decorating goes well tomorrow and Mr Dusty stays out of the way. I am with you on living in a hotel as well .
    712 posts
    lonelyrat wrote: »
    Lol about wanting to live in a hotel! I don't mind cleaning so much but I'm not a good cook and find it really quite stressful/ boring sometimes so I would invest in a personal chef to cook all my meals :rotfl:

Sounds like it's all go dusty! Well done on everything your doing and I'm sure it will be worth it when the visit happens! Tsk tsk Mr. Dusty getting involved and messing up the painting! Typical men haha! :o

Glad your heel is healing (heehee) :cool:

Yeah,the heel is healed:D.
    Ah,my dream life.....oh for a nice rather small and quiet hotel,full room service,restaurant,people who would send out my washing /dry cleaning,which would all come back beautifully ironed(remember I hate ironing and could scream when Mr Dusty, bless his heart ,spends hours getting the ironing done immaculately). The staff would clean the suite (of course I will have a suite) while I'm downstairs having breakfast.I could just trot off as and when I liked,and entertaining family and visitors would be easy-peasy.
    Wouldnt want going abroad much,but would send Mr Dusty off to see his family for a month or two regularly,so I could go off visiting palaces,castles,cathedrals,museums and art galleries,and family history archives to my heart's content (Ican happily sit in a library for 6 hours at a time rooting through old records.......dream on Dusty,dream on......;);)

712 posts
    Dusty only just started reading your diary , but I do love how you write things.

Hope the decorating goes well tomorrow and Mr Dusty stays out of the way. I am with you on living in a hotel as well .

Hi and welcome,Cumbria lass.thanks for looking at my diary,its all a bit odd since I am actually debt free,but I enjoy the chance to write things down,I am much more likely to do things if I have announced them to the world.
    I live in County Durham,across the way from Cumbria,which I absolutely adore. My very first holiday away there was when I was 16,two friends and I went youth hosteling for a fortnight,staying at a different hostel and pretty much by a different lake each day. Climbing up Helvelyn,following tracks up the hills to see the spectacular views,cooling our feet in the lakes(always freezing even in August) and loving meeting all the other young people who came there from all over UK and Europe too.Later I also visited the lochs of Scotland youth hosteling too and loved that too.That was back in the 60sand the roads were fairly low on traffic then,today with all the vehicles I doubt if trying to walk miles amidst traffic fumes and all those trip buses is much fun today.
    One of my sons also loves the glorious mountain regions,he regularly goes walking in the Lakes,Scotland(loves Ben Nevis) and even Snowdonia (he has a friend living south of Liverpool and they trek off up the Welsh hills many summer weekends).There is something so uplifting in being in the mountains.
    Doing my family tree I find many of my ancestors have lived in county Durham for the last 500 years,but I was delighted to find one line,my mother's paternal line had its origins in Garrigil,a tiny place near Alston. The family were lead miners,and when the lead ran out they came over the Pennines into Durham. I researched the family line back to 1750,but then there were a host of John Waltons,I couldnt work out the right one,so I got no further,but I am happy with the connection with that beautiful area:)

• SystemSystem
    177.7K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    It's great to hear of your adventures Dusty in the Lakes. I actually live in Manchester but I love the Lake District, have a few friends there now. Been there today it's only an hour and 10 minutes away. As soon as I see the hills I feel as though I am home, the scenery was so beautiful in the sun. However I also love North Yorkshire, I am a regular visitor to Saltburn , as have friend there also, so not so far away from your area Dusty. The hills have been a great help to me over the years, the peace and tranquility if you can find it are so amazing. Have swam in a couple of tarns and as you say they are cold even at the height of the summer.
    712 posts
    Another Monday morning ,when I try to plan my week.Today its the kitchen as usual. Wish I had a pound for every time I clean that ceramic hob,all that cooking means its never clean,I am always polishing it. But it does look so nice when its sparkly clean! :)
    I managed to do the ceiling yesterday,repairing the mess Mr Dusty made of it. I touched up the very worst messes,and let it dry,then did it properly,nice smooth,even strokes,no gaps,controlled amount of paint etc etc. It doesnt look too bad now but another even coat would be best,but I cant be bothered. Hopefully they wont look at the ceiling.:D Took ages,since I was making Sunday dinner,with its heaps of washing up,helping Mr Dusty with something,and entertaining DD1 and great granddaughter at one point in the afternoon.It was 6 pm when I finally cleaned the brushes and roller and scrubbed myself too,I was all speckley.I am so not a pro at painting. :D
    Two of the walls have a washable paper on,a sort of beige with squares and coffee cups and words like espesso,mocha etc scribbled here and there.Mr Dusty ruined it with patches of paint off the roller,I will have to paint over it.But cream paint may not look good. I am going to have to think what exactly to do,what colour to put on. I am going shopping at Wilko this afternoon,I want new doormats,and the gloss paint,so I'll decide what paint to get for those walls then . I.certainly dont have the time or energy to remove the old paper,scrape the walls and put on new.

Boy should Mr Dusty thank his lucky stars I have spared his life this weekend!:rotfl:And I wish my stepson had given us 2 months warning as usual. Oh well,no use crying over spilt milk.

Taking it easy this am,my legs are super swollen from climbing up and down the ladder so many times. I was getting cramps from perching on those narrow steps too,so my whole legs are on fire and are massive. I can tell I am full of fluid,my weight had gone up 3 lbs in 2 days.I had to put off the wall painting ,probably first coat tomorrow,second on Thursday,day off to rest the legs.
    Originally my sons were going to be doing it all,but one is working away in Aberdeen,the other in Worcester all week,and I cant use up their precious,limited free time.The one working in Worcester gets home late Friday night,leaves Sunday evening,so not much time to be with his partner and the Imp.
    I'll get it done,little by little.I am only doing the kitchen,and the staircase woodwork,very shabby and peeling,hasnt been painted for 7 years!
    Other cleaning is shampooing the bedroom carpets (grandkids have really done a number on the guest room floor,their playroom!)and rearranging the bedrooms ,and cleaning windows and the three piece suite.
    Also sorting bedding,finding my table cloths and cutlery etc.cleaning glassware(we live beside a major road and its amazing how the dirt and dust clings to stuff.I need to clean out the fridge,am attempting to eat up as much as possible from the freezer to make room for new stuff. I have 10 days for everything,plus thinking about food.:eek:
    Good job there are only 3 coming this year. Last time there were all three girls,plus two of their friends.3 people stayed at my DD1s house across the road,and her boiler was broken. There were 11 of us wanting to use our bathroom,someone was having a bath at almost any moment in time. :rotfl::rotfl:No boiler problems this year,and only 3 visitors in total,so thank heavens for small mercies:T

Off to do the potatoes. Salmon today. I have a big pan of veggies to pop in the microwave for me then it will be off to do the shopping.

• lonelyratlonelyrat Forumite
    566 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I feel exhausted just reading yesterday's post Dusty! Well done on everything, am sure you're house will be sparkling when you're done :) It's motivated me to hoover today so thank you!
    Total Debt : ?? / ??
    712 posts
    Aching all over. Managed to do two coats of paint on 2 of the kitchen walls and was up and down the ladder many times.and cant decide which is hurting most,my feet from standing so much,my knees from climbing that ladder (they now can barely bend),or my shoulders from painting above shoulder height:eek:

One coat tomorrow of the other two walls,the other coat on Friday. Will leave the gloss till Sunday to give me a break.Plenty of other jobs to do.:)
    Got to the family history group this afternoon and continued to print documents of ancestors from a website I have subscription to,which expires middle of June,and I cant afford to renew it - £96 - so I have to get my money's worth while I can.I am moving through each ancestor methodically,trying to pin down birth,marriage and death,and was pleased today to add a few new dates and details. But so much info is lost or missing,it takes a lot of time and effort to document details.Good fun though,you have to be a kind of detective.But it can drive you nuts when you cant find what you are looking for!Here are a few comments that I put at the top of my notes;

You know that you are addicted to genealogy when you are more interested in 1818 than 2018
    Eventually all genealogists come to their census.
    My ancestors must be in a witness protection scheme
    You know you are addicted to genealogy when you would rather browse in a cemetery than a shopping mall.
    You might be a genealogist if you talk about your dead relatives as if they are alive.
    Every family tree produces some lemons,some nuts and a few bad apples.

I'm a genilogist

I'm a geanalogist

I'm a genoligist .........

.what the heck! I hunt dead people