MSE News: Big brands fail to stop charging credit card fees after ban

A number of big-name brands including energy firm E.on and travel giant Expedia have been mistakenly charging customers extra fees to pay by credit card AFTER new rules to ban such charges came into effect, MoneySavingExpert.com can reveal...
Read the full story:
'Big brands fail to stop charging credit card fees after ban'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
«13

Comments

  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    So it is only 3 companies that you are aware of.

    One company due to confusion with paying a business account with a personal card. Understandable since most people pay a business account with a business card which isn't covered by this change


    A second firm because they were still updating their website.

    And the third due to a technical issue on their website.


    All in all a bit of a non-story. Slow news day?
  • st999
    st999 Posts: 1,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I've just had my final bill for my cruise in May with Fred Olsen and they have stated that there is a 1.5% surcharge for paying by credit card.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    st999 wrote: »
    I've just had my final bill for my cruise in May with Fred Olsen and they have stated that there is a 1.5% surcharge for paying by credit card.

    When did you book it? I suspect it pre dates the new legislation.
  • unforeseen wrote: »
    So it is only 3 companies that you are aware of.

    One company due to confusion with paying a business account with a personal card. Understandable since most people pay a business account with a business card which isn't covered by this change


    A second firm because they were still updating their website.

    And the third due to a technical issue on their website.


    All in all a bit of a non-story. Slow news day?

    We had a lot of readers contact us who had been charged by these firms and were confused as to why this was, given the new law. We wanted to find out why and let the readers know they'd definitely be getting their money back, hence the story.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Booked flights with BA earlier this week - payment options said a fee would be levied if paying by credit card (I paid by debit by CC would have been more convenient for me)
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16


  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    BA stopped having CC surcharges on personal cards on 10 January.

    They still apply a surcharge on corporate cards.

    Wouldn't surprise me at all though if they have some incorrect information on their web site.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Nick_C wrote: »
    BA stopped having CC surcharges on personal cards on 10 January.

    They still apply a surcharge on corporate cards.

    Wouldn't surprise me at all though if they have some incorrect information on their web site.

    It was deff incorrect on their website when you got to the payment option at the end this week - they did have diff options showing the surcharge for corp cards though so shape updating the site in stages - bit naughty though.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16


  • tastyhog
    tastyhog Posts: 847 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    unforeseen wrote: »
    So it is only 3 companies that you are aware of.

    One company due to confusion with paying a business account with a personal card. Understandable since most people pay a business account with a business card which isn't covered by this change


    A second firm because they were still updating their website.

    And the third due to a technical issue on their website.



    All in all a bit of a non-story. Slow news day?

    convenient excuses.

    I can't think of a single reason why a surcharge would be applied to a payment because of a glitch on a site, either it has that setting there and active or it doesn't, if it's still active it's been purposefully left active.

    again with the updating website, it literally takes a few seconds to change payment settings on any website, which they had months to implement.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    tastyhog wrote: »
    again with the updating website, it literally takes a few seconds to change payment settings on any website, which they had months to implement.
    Have a lot of experience coding large websites then?

    They may have had months to do it but until the new website becomes live then you do not know whether it will work. What works in a test environment doesn't always work in live
  • Norweigan were not accepting any card payments on their website last saturday, it kept saying card number doesn't match card type, so I assume it was an error recoding the website for this change.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards