Becoming a private tutor- all questions here

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Boost Your Income
659 replies 455.4K views

Replies

• ThinkingOfLinkingThinkingOfLinking Forumite
    11.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're planning on working with children it's always a good idea to get a CRB check done, which proves you have no convictions which might put a child at risk - unfortunately it doesn't seem that you can get one done yourself. Perhaps you could start off with an agency?

Ask at a local school for advice too!

Anyone can get their own CRB done; I have; go to the police station, fill out the paperwork and hand over £10 for the enanced check and it gets back to you within 2-4 weeks.
  • toasted-liontoasted-lion Forumite
    27 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    How old do you think you need to be before people will consider you to tutor their children? I'm only 17 and still studying at school, but I've always been good at school, especially in maths (did my gcse when i was 9 and got a c, then again at 14 and got an a*)

I currently work in a fast food store and i hate it, my pay is awful and I am not appreciated in the slightest. I really wish there was something more useful I could do to earn money, and I get a lot of satisfaction from helping other people understand things (my friends all say I'll end up as a teacher when I'm older), so working as a tutor is something I'd really like to do. I reckon I could teach physics, chemistry, biology and german up to gcse and maths up to a level without too much difficulty. If I could get £5 per hour I'd be happy, anything else would be a bonus.

Only problem is I can't imagine people wanting to be taught by someone who hasn't even finished school himself. What does everyone think?
  • Annie021063Annie021063 Forumite
    2.5K posts
    How old do you think you need to be before people will consider you to tutor their children? I'm only 17 and still studying at school, but I've always been good at school, especially in maths (did my gcse when i was 9 and got a c, then again at 14 and got an a*)

I currently work in a fast food store and i hate it, my pay is awful and I am not appreciated in the slightest. I really wish there was something more useful I could do to earn money, and I get a lot of satisfaction from helping other people understand things (my friends all say I'll end up as a teacher when I'm older), so working as a tutor is something I'd really like to do. I reckon I could teach physics, chemistry, biology and german up to gcse and maths up to a level without too much difficulty. If I could get £5 per hour I'd be happy, anything else would be a bonus.

Only problem is I can't imagine people wanting to be taught by someone who hasn't even finished school himself. What does everyone think?
    It is very pleasing to see someone so young as enthused about learning as you are. However I feel that although you are good at these subjects and have an interest in them you may well find that you will need a teaching qualification to tutor. You could offer 'help with homework/revision' service to your friends and family members, try advertising in local schools termly PTA leaflet, it gets given to every child in the school.
    Good luck
  • There's no way I'd pay an agency £6 a session. I'm paying £3 a session at the moment and I'm very keen to advertise my own services and avoid the commission altogether. I have got a student through one of the sites mentioned here and I've paid the £8 introduction fee which I think is quite reasonable (providing I deliver three or more sessions I'm quids in).
    *removed by forumteam - please do not advertise in signatures*
    2.5K posts
    There's no way I'd pay an agency £6 a session. I'm paying £3 a session at the moment and I'm very keen to advertise my own services and avoid the commission altogether. I have got a student through one of the sites mentioned here and I've paid the £8 introduction fee which I think is quite reasonable (providing I deliver three or more sessions I'm quids in).
    I joined an agency I found in my local paper and got one tutee within a couple of days, I pay £2.80 per hour back to her which I thought was very reasonable. I also have two other tutees that I found myself - I am losing one at the end of the month so I would like another especially with the summer hols coming. Can you PM me with the agency you found on here please?
    Thanks
  • I am a private, one-to-one tutor for modern languages.

Advertising with any kind of agency is simply not worth it. Take this from someone with 20+years of experience.

There are plenty of internet websites on which you can advertise for free and which come high up on google searches. I use vivastreet and gumtree and get all the clientele I need from there.

Add on your free insertions in yellow pages, thomson etc and you're home free.

My Vivastreet ad is now showing up on the first page of results on google for any sensible query. <Subject name>, tutor, <Town>. So I completely agree with Charlton here.

How do you get free insertions in Yellow Pages and Thomson though?
  • niknakbniknakb Forumite
    73 posts
    Hi

Where do you advertise your tutoring services? I teach an adult ed class for the council at £20ph but ive been told that some people doing that are paid £80! Where can I find a job like this??
    :j xxxxx:j
  • Thanks Jon.
    2.5K posts
    Hey Jon if you want business can I suggest you respond to people!! I sent email via your site and PM'd you from here and have had no response.:mad:
  • petef23petef23 Forumite
    1 posts
    Hi Annie021063

Jon asked me to apologise for him - his laptop is in for repair and he can't remember his password to log in and get your message. If you email help at beanbag learning I'll pass the message on to him.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support