Do long term relationships with banks matter?

Options
Hi

I am thinking of switching banks for the cash incentive. I have been with my bank for over 20 years. I don't feel loyal to them I am thinking purely of what difference it makes to the wider picture to financial institutions if you have had a long relationship with a bank does it look favourable in any way?

Just to clarify I don't have any plans or need for any credit in the near future so Im not asking for that reason I just wondered if its better to keep an account you've had a long time.

I do have other accounts for different things but I cant switch those as they have a purpose that already benefits me.

Thanks

Comments

• Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,697 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 19 January 2018 at 11:08AM
    Options
    Long relationship with a bank can help with credit applications, mortgages etc. Worth keeping just in case imho.

Why not just open another account at your main bank and switch that one once it's open?

Edited to add: Or open a new account at your bank but switch the original account if that has DDs etc that might be needed for the switch incentive. The new account at the original bank might be hardly used, but you'll still have been 'with that bank' for 20+ years.
  • Keeping_Motivated
    Options
    Thanks, thats a good idea, I'll do that
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Zanderman wrote: »
    Edited to add: Or open a new account at your bank but switch the original account if that has DDs etc that might be needed for the switch incentive. The new account at the original bank might be hardly used, but you'll still have been 'with that bank' for 20+ years.

That's not a good idea because on your credit report lenders can't see who you have an account with. So all they will see is two new accounts opened and 1 account with a lot of history closed. So it will actually be more of a negative to do it this way.

The best way would be to open a new account with the existing bank and transfer the DD from the old account to this one before switching (if you didn't want to use other DD).
  • Keeping_Motivated
    Options
    Ah thanks makes sense
  • libra10
    libra10 Posts: 18,752 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    We have been banking with Nationwide for many years, and they offer several 'loyalty' accounts for customers who have been members for varying numbers of years.

Among other accounts we hold with them, we have an instant access account earning 0.75%. Their loyalty account (with similar conditions) for those who have been members for 15 years or over, is 1% interest.

Not an overly generous loyalty reward for long-term members.
  • binaryuniverse
    Options
    Remember, loyalty matters at Nationwide. That's why you can get the exact same offers new customers can get.
  • theroamingnomad
    Options
    Zanderman wrote: »
    Long relationship with a bank can help with credit applications, mortgages etc. Worth keeping just in case imho.

Agree with this 100%
    Debt-free by January 1st, 2019.
    £4905.87/£5124 - as of 24/03/18
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Remember, loyalty matters at Nationwide. That's why you can get [STRIKE]the exact same[/STRIKE] worse offers than new customers can get.
    (apologies)

A new customer can get £200 to share with a mate plus 5% interest on £2,500 for a year. Nationwide's interest paying current account is one of the most generous for new customers, but one of the least generous after that initial year. Being a member brings little reward.

The Loyalty Saver should really be called the Disloyalty saver as it encourages people to stay for 1% when they could easily be getting 1.2% or more elsewhere.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • No_6
    No_6 Posts: 835 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have been with Nat West for over 40 years,
    always add it to any application for new credit.

But it only has the minimum of money in it, with a descent OD
    which is never used.

Much better accounts to have money in.
    But just got a £125 or more.....so I still bank with NW
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was with NatWest for a very long time,about 40 years but just before I left they made a mistake which cost me £40 and they refused to rectify since I was no longer a customer- I discovered the loss months later (connected with a BS regular saver.) ...so essentially they lost me £1 per year!!
    That's when I decided loyalty does not pay.

However since then I have kept a main account that I do not intend to switch and it gives me a small (reduced!!) Reward- and helps to prove I am credit worthy.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £88.25 spent!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure