Don't know where to start! £10k debt

Options

Comments

• Little_Miss_Winner
    Options
    What do I say????

Gimme some cash you tight ***** :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

You need to be open and frank and say something along the lines of how you are really struggling to manage each month. The amount of incomings doesn't cover the outgoings. Just be really truthful and honest with him.
  • Little_Miss_Winner
    Options
    What does he spend all his wages on ? He must have at least £1.5k spare per month!!
  • WannabeRich
    Options
    His commute is long so £300ish petrol; £500 child maintenance to his kids; £700 to me. He has a car loan of £3k ish I think.

I don't know.
  • Little_Miss_Winner
    Options

I also have a husband. We currently don't have a joint account, but he keeps saying we should get one so that we can work out my debts together and get ourselves in a good position to move house.

He does seem to want to help and make more of a *joint* effort into plans for the future - I am wondering whats stopped you from doing this?
  • WannabeRich
    Options
    He's got over a grand left a month after his bills are paid! What a f*cknut!

I feel bad asking him to pay for MY debts. He gave me £2,800 last year (from a PPI claim) to get me out of some debt, and I'm just back in it again.
  • WannabeRich
    Options
    I dont know. I'm off to bed now. Thanks so much for your help!
  • Little_Miss_Winner
    Options
    He's got over a grand left a month after his bills are paid! What a f*cknut!

I feel bad asking him to pay for MY debts. He gave me £2,800 last year (from a PPI claim) to get me out of some debt, and I'm just back in it again.

£177k you have paid off HIS (and yours) house :cool:

Sorry dont mean to come accross harsh, 10k is nothing when YOU have already paid £177k off your property. Suppose he didnt offer to pay you £88.5k as his part of the equity. ? think about it hun.

I think youu will feel a little better when youu get this conversation with him over...

x
  • Lauralou79
    Options
    I consolidated an overdraft and card in my later twenties. Guess what? I ran up the overdraft and cards again and was left paying the £10,000 loan too! I got there tho and became debt free in 2014.
    I learned my lesson and apart from my mortgage last year I’m debt free and aim to never get credit again. Converted saver!
  • enjoyyourshoes
    Options
    You have to prioritise :-

Holiday
    Presents (its just Guilt so find a way to deal with this instead of £)
    Entertainment

or your Debts.

But the costs above have resulted in the debts, so there does not seem to be much of a contest on which takers the priority?
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,609 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    as You are now married and you put the larger deposit into your house then I think you should have no qualms asking your husband to help.

A fair distribution considering he earns £41k to your £14k is he pays 75% of the joint bills and you pay 25%. This would mean him putting £1050 into your account and you contribute £350. That still comes to £1400 and you need to be way more disciplined with money. You don’t need an app. Just use a spreadsheet or pen and paper. Work out your money at the beginn8ng of the month and put enough to cover bills in your current account. Make repayments to your debts (overdraft first) and put some aside in a savings account. Spending money goes in another account with a mobile app so you can see how much is in there at any time and don’t spend without checking.

Strictly speaking if you split everything down the middle your husband should have stumped up the same deposit. As he didn’t and presumably is not in a position to do that the least he could do is address the differences in income.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure