We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

house insurance & broker

Hi All,

We’ve currently let our house insurance lapse due to having home improvements done and wanted to make sure at the end of them we got the correct insurance at a fair price rather than changing our details mid part through a policy and be stung.

So here is our dilemma ... “house insurance” we currently have had a loft conversion adding a large dorma, all building regs have been followed and it’s been inspected as two extra bedrooms so when we sell the house we have been advised by both the specialist loft conversion company and the independent building inspector that it will be listed on the market as a 4 bed property and that for the new owners the council tax band would change.

Now that’s out of the way our last insurance was for a 2 bed property with no flat roof but now I estimate the roof is around 40% flat meaning our new insurance is going to be for a 4 bed property with 40% flat roof. Could this effect a claim in future if they looked at how it was insured before and am I better off staying away from comparence sites and going direct to a local broker so this can be explained face to face also I would insure with a flat roof of around 40-50% to make sure it’s covered. The price this year as more or less doubled to what we paid last year.

Also moving forward with other insurance in the future am I better off with a broker rather than a internet based quote ? My friend uses a broker and recently had his car wrote off they paid him out £4100 for a old discovery where a cheap online company would of most likely paid out around £700 granted he pays around £100 extra a year to insure his car than I do.

But what’s you thoughts on brokers over picking the cheapest quote off line ?

Thanks
Josh
Debt Free Wanabe #StartSmallDreamBig £8419/£8419

Comments

  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,078
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Most policies now a days are bedroom rated policies as far as I am aware.
    Providing you declare it as a 4 bedroom property it should be fine. In terms of the flat roof, I am not 100% sure but assuming it is within the insurers criteria it should be fine.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • As above regarding bedroom rated. You’ve added 2 beds, these houses cost more to rebuild and the insurance costs more as a result.

    Only thing to add is 40% flat roof may mean you’ll fall outside of some insurers ‘computer says no’ approach.

    If you want to try a local broker, avoid Swinton.
  • As above regarding bedroom rated. You’ve added 2 beds, these houses cost more to rebuild and the insurance costs more as a result.

    Only thing to add is 40% flat roof may mean you’ll fall outside of some insurers ‘computer says no’ approach.

    If you want to try a local broker, avoid Swinton.

    Thanks to you both, right that’s cleared it up a little bit another concern is regarding the roof you only have one option and now our roof is mainly tile but the flat bit is rubber and it doesn’t allow two options.... I’m on my last night shift tonight so tomorrow I’ll pop in the brokers. One I’ve thought of going to is a independent and it’s in a village a guy at work lives in so I’ve asked him questions regarding them but unfortunately he’s never used them but has told me his friend has been going there for around 5 years and it’s been there around 30 years so they must be doing something right.

    Thanks
    Debt Free Wanabe #StartSmallDreamBig £8419/£8419
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.