Being Bullied By Car Insrance Companies!!!

Options

Comments

• societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 January 2018 at 8:18PM
    Options
    Yes
    They have increased my premium by almost £100 for not declaring points that are not on my license. I feel sick to death about this. It ruined my whole day
    They are interested in your driving history, nothing to do with how many points you have.
    They don't have to offer you insurance. Don't like it? Go somewhere else.
    Martin Lewis, can you explain how Insurance companies are getting away with this?... Daylight Robbery
    Guessing Martin's got better things to do . .
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Young-T wrote: »
    .... I knew that I had some points on my license but wasn't 100% sure of how many or when they were issued to me....

I find it incredible that you did not know :eek:
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,224 Forumite
    Options
    Yes
    Sparx wrote: »
    To be fair, if the points have expired, why should the offence be declared to insurance? It’s truly none of their business. The points have been served and expired. Why should insurance companies use now redundant points to increase premiums? It is just a revenue exercise.
    By that logic, if you're convicted of murder, or theft, or fraud, none of those offences get you points on your licence at all - so are they none of your insurer's business?

There is actually legislation which limits insurer's right to ask about convictions. It's the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, and it sets timescales for offences to become spent. Once spent they do not have to be declared to employers, insurers etc (with a few exceptions, such as jobs which involve handling money or working with children).

However the length of time it takes convictions to become spent is NOT related to the length of time the penalty points are active for - after all most convictions don't attract penalty points. For most driving offences the rehabilitation period is 5 years - which is precisely why most insurers ask if you have any convictions in the last 5 years.

But for the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act there would be nothing to stop insurers requiring you to declare convictions for the rest of your life; indeed until a couple of years ago this was common in Ireland, which only introduced equivalent legislation in 2016.
  • Aretnap
    Options
    Yes
    Well I hate to say this, but I thought this was a site where people would help other people, not take the mickey.
    If you want help we'll give you all the help we can for free, but if you want sympathy you'll have to pay us. My rates start at a tenner for a "you're right it's terrible, insurer's are swine aren't they", and I'll do you a full on two screen rant for £50.

In terms of help though there's not a lot that we can offer. The insurer seems to be treating this as an honest mistake on your part by just charging you the additional premium. If they thought it was deliberate non-disclosure they could cancel your policy, which would cause you no end of trouble for many years. So I don't see any prospect of a complaint succeeding. You could try getting some quotes with both convictions declared and see if you can get something cheaper than your current insurer wants to charge - the cheapest company for someone with 1 conviction isn't necessarily cheapest for someone with 2. If so it may be worth cancelling and taking out a new policy - but find out what cancellation fees you might have to pay and factor them into the calculation.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Yes
    We don't give posters what they want to hear but rather the honest truth
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • kimplus8
    kimplus8 Posts: 968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    oh dear, being rude to other posters that are trying to help u won't get you anywhere I'm afraid. You were asked for any convictions in the last 5 years regardless of when they expired with the DVLA.
    Saving for a house in 2025 LISA £7726/£15000 Emergency Fund £1000/£6000 No spend Year 2023
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,418 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 January 2018 at 10:09PM
    Options
    Yes
    Some pretty good advice, but I do sympathise. When I have occasionally had points in the past I couldn't say for sure a few years later exactly when I got them without checking. I believe you - it was probably a genuine mistake. Insurance is a racket, the less I have to insure the happier I feel. Except for the big "what if" that might cost ££££. That's why we just have to pay up.
  • Samsung_Note2
    Options
    kimplus8 wrote: »
    oh dear, being rude to other posters that are trying to help u won't get you anywhere I'm afraid. You were asked for any convictions in the last 5 years regardless of when they expired with the DVLA.

Blimey i would never have said getting flashed by a speed camera was classed as a conviction....getting caught and charged with an offence,yes that's an obvious conviction.

Points that have expired (i believe they last 3 years ?) id not consider a conviction.
  • Blibble
    Blibble Posts: 503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes
    Well I hate to say this, but I thought this was a site where people would help other people, not take the mickey. I hope your premium goes up, oh wait, I bet you don't even own a car do you?...

Cracking comeback there - do you have a car Quentin?

Dunstonh has (again) hit the nail on the head. Insurance is concerned with risk and, risk affects pricing. It is a perfectly relevant thing to ask and, whilst I have some limited sympathy, ypu've learnt the hard way to pay far greater attention to the points you've accrued on your licence.
  • Aretnap
    Options
    Yes
    Blimey i would never have said getting flashed by a speed camera was classed as a conviction....getting caught and charged with an offence,yes that's an obvious conviction.

Points that have expired (i believe they last 3 years ?) id not consider a conviction.
    You might not consider it a conviction, but the law disagrees with you.
    The_law wrote:
    Where the counterpart of a person’s licence is endorsed under this section he shall be treated for the purposes of sections 13(4), 28, 29 and 45 of this Act and of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 as if...he had been convicted of the offence
    This is to the offender's advantage. Were the fixed penalty NOT treated as a conviction it would not be covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, and there would be nothing to stop insurers requiring him to disclose it for the rest of his life.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure