We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Best life insurance for over 50's?

I am wanting to take out an insurance to cover funeral expenses etc. I am 60yrs old. Can anybody give me any advice on best company to go through, that won't cost me a fortune each month as don't have a lot of spare income.

Comments

  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Might be worthwhile looking at a funeral plan rather than life insurance - but what are the et ceteras you are wanting insurance for??
  • System
    System Posts: 178,487
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Community Admin
    Quentin wrote: »
    Might be worthwhile looking at a funeral plan rather than life insurance - but what are the et ceteras you are wanting insurance for??

    Actually it is really just for funeral costs. Do you think funeral plan is best? What happens if I die before I have paid it all though?
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Why not merely save and stipulate in Will that this account is for funeral. Set up RS with HSBC/FD returning 5-6% interest?
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,487
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Community Admin
    Why not merely save and stipulate in Will that this account is for funeral. Set up RS with HSBC/FD returning 5-6% interest?

    Not having a lot of disposable income to pay out each month, I am worried that if I WAS to die earlier than I hope, there would not be enough to cover the expenses.
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 4,634
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    ploppy57 wrote: »
    Not having a lot of disposable income to pay out each month, I am worried that if I WAS to die earlier than I hope, there would not be enough to cover the expenses.
    Are you a single homeowner? Proceeds from the sale of your property could cover funeral costs.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,487
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Community Admin
    katejo wrote: »
    Are you a single homeowner? Proceeds from the sale of your property could cover funeral costs.

    I have a husband & I want to ensure he or other family members have instant access to money to cover funeral costs. So far it looks like British Seniors are best, but just wondered if anyone knew anything better.
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Undertakers will wait to be paid out of the estste
  • System
    System Posts: 178,487
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Community Admin
    Quentin wrote: »
    Undertakers will wait to be paid out of the estste

    Yes, but if my husband is still alive....he is 12 years younger than me, so he could still be, ...he will not be wanting to sell the house.
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.