Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

edited 22 January 2019 at 9:32AM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.4K replies 523.6K views

Replies

• My poor Mum (antique collector and def hoarding tendencies) is having to declutter a large house prior to a possible downsize. A lifetime of stuff being sorted. Sadly it gives her no joy. So, so sad to see (but it has to be done). Most of it, I can’t help with, just give her support.:(
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
  • Knit_WitchKnit_Witch Forumite
    4.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    catshark88 wrote: »
    My poor Mum (antique collector and def hoarding tendencies) is having to declutter a large house prior to a possible downsize. A lifetime of stuff being sorted. Sadly it gives her no joy. So, so sad to see (but it has to be done). Most of it, I can’t help with, just give her support.:(

Support can help!
    Must use my stash up!
  • GreyQueen, I don’t think you are besmirching your minimalist credentials by feeling angry about your property being stolen. It seems an eminently fair and reasonable response to me.

I hope the gits ride themselves into a tree on it.
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
  • Knit_WitchKnit_Witch Forumite
    4.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    catshark88 wrote: »
    GreyQueen, I don’t think you are besmirching your minimalist credentials by feeling angry about your property being stolen. It seems an eminently fair and reasonable response to me.

I hope the gits ride themselves into a tree on it.

Damaging themselves but not the bike!
    Must use my stash up!
  • Knit_Witch wrote: »
    Support can help!

I just wish I could take away some of her pain. Yes, she’s too attached to stuff, but if one is, letting it go is very painful.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Knit_Witch wrote: »
    Damaging themselves but not the bike!
    Or the tree!!
  • PookyPooky Forumite
    7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was the very grateful recipient of a stolen bike when I was 10.

I should state that said stolen bike was found abandoned in a car park where my dad worked, he handed it over to the police, no claims were made so .dad was asked if he wanted it....it was a few days before my 10th birthday and it was a blue and white checked BMX....not something my parents could have ever afforded. That was a great birthday for me but I still felt awful that someone else was missing out.

1 large bags kondod to the CS yesterday and a pile of books are sorted and ready to drop at the village hall book exchange when I get there’s next. The village hall has big shelves of books and jigsaws and a donation is requested if you want to take a few and you’re welcome to pop them back on the shelf when you’re done so they can raise a bit more money towards the upkeep. It’s a fab idea.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is never, ever critical towards other people who hang on to their stuff, and I can entirely understand your reaction, GQ. Nobody has made an avowal of perfectly-practised Buddhism on here, we're all just bumbling along the best we can.

I'm so sorry to hear about the stolen bikes, all of them :( I had my bike stolen when I was a student, but I went to Oxford Polytechnic, and I found it the next day, 3 blocks down my road! I took it back, of course.

Makes me think of my current "bike". I bought it 20 years ago, from new, but its never been used, and it's been sitting in the shed corroding gently. Even though I've now had the shed door and the fence door repaired (it would have to pass through both to get to the road) I know I'm not going to use it regularly, especially as both doors are padlocked. So I'm going to let it go. I'd only ever use it for pootling about town, though the prepper in me insists that if I had to flee in the middle of the night, I could take the bike :o If things were that bad, of course, I really doubt I'd have time to get the bike through two locked doors :o:rotfl:

What it *does* make me think, though, is that I might buy a folding bike, which I could store next to my front door, there's an alcove there that's just right. Does anybody have any recommendations about websites for 2nd hand bikes? Or are they too local for such a thing?
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
  • Fen1Fen1 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Folding bikes. Are you looking for how compact it can be? How heavy for carrying? How quickly for folding/unfolding? How long are your journeys, and what terrain?

Pretty much the gold standard is a Brompton, but don't ask the price. You can get second hand Bromptons on the web, but I would be very careful about their provenance. All the Brompton owners I know jealously guard their bikes, and they would have to have an earth-shattering reason to give them up.

If you don't need something as fancy as a Brompton, then there are quite a few cheaper brands out there. You pay less, but the bike might not fold as neatly, or be heavier to carry. However, if you aren't lugging it about for daily commuting, then a cheaper bike might well do.
  • tibawotibawo Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Not quite sure I want to say thanks for the new thread. I was happily catching up on the old one and then realised there was more .... only joking... love hearing how well people are doing and the support for each other.

I've been trying to KD and plan the allotment. It was, until now quite mild so I was able to shift hard core and place a couple raised beds but now with the weather change might have to refocus on the house for a while.

This morning i have just given myself a warm fuzzy feeling. I am a self confessed voucher queen. When I spot them they are checked if they have 'Mr Justin Case' written on or if I know family/friends use them. The ones I use go straight in my bag and the others delivered! Today I was doing my shop in my local freezer centre. I wasn't meaning to listen but this family was in and discussing how much they could 'afford' to spend on food this month. I carried on with mine and by chance was behind them at the till. The bill came to over their budget and the till operator asked them if they don't get any of the spend X get X off vouchers. They didn't and the bloke sheepishly started to look in the trolley for things to put back. Knowing I'd more than I probably needed I offered them some of mine. It worked out they could get a tenner off. I was quite shocked in how many times they thanked me and the woman hugged me with tears in her eyes. Even the guy on the till told me it was a nice gesture.

So I have now for a buzz which helps me as it gives me the energy to crack on! Winner for all of us!
    After years of debt and living on the breadline feeling nothing but negative about myself, I am finally feeling that 2019 might be the year I actually get positive about it!