PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had a huge stressy anxiety cry this morning over something trivial but I've been feeling this anxiety building again for a week or so. DH took the brunt of my anger but he's a real gem, just gave me a tissue and a hug and said it will all be ok. Once I'd calmed down I could clearly see the cause of all this anxiety is the state of my house. I keep a comfy, clean home and after all the kondoing it takes a few minutes a day to tidy and whizz a duster/hoover round but last week DD1 moved back in. We now have 3 sofas in our living room along with 4 arm chairs, the garage is chock a block as are all the bedrooms. Combine that with DD2 moving home last month and we went from a calm quiet spacious home to 4 adults all getting under each other's feet and the amount of stuff that brings.

I know DD1 will be moving out again soon once her purchase completes but it's really shown me how my environment really links to my stress levels. I've not suffered with anxiety until the last year or so (think it's peri menopause related) and all of my episodes seem to coincide with home clutter/decorating mess etc.

I've given myself a good talking to and will keep repeating to myself that I'll have my house back soon enough.

1 bag left for CS this morning and 2 gift bags with associated presents and cards will be leaving in the next few days, finishing off my gift bag stash and
    Using up the last of a roll of wrapping paper.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Poor Pooky, I do understand. DD1 has now bought her own place but DD2 is about to boomerang back after uni and I don't know about your DDs but mine instantly fall back into old well established habits which drive me nuts. I was working long hour during their formative years and au pairs were never going to invest the emotional effort in making them clear up after themselves.

I had a weeping session about a month ago in fact. DD2 comes into our en suite because the other bathroom is being gutted atm. On her way she picks up my hairbrush, because she never remembers to bring her own, and then walks off with it to her own room. Never puts it back. Next morning I am looking for my hairbrush after my shower. Stomp into her room, Madam digs down the side of the bed for it, huffing and puffing as if I am the one who is in the wrong......

And breathe!!
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) (((((Pooky))))))))) hang on in there, hun, it will get better. I totally agree with you about the state of the home affecting one's emotional state. I'm just the same, easily overwhelmed and end up flailing around unable to get anything done. Which could be as easy as a cooked meal, the micro kitchen becomes unusable very very quickly.

:hello:Nice to 'see' you over here, Mrs LW, hope the move is going as well as can be. Nothing like packing to concentrate the mind, hey?

I have some badly overdue filing to do and will finish my cuppa before pushing a vacuum around. I will also be finalising the accounts for July once tomorrow has passed, so there will be some receipts etc outta here.

Keep on keeping on, lovely peeps. GQ x
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Pooky sorry you're having a bad moment - I think having offspring move back in is extremely stressful. They manage to combine 'I'm used to having my own space' with simultaneously reverting to childhood ... you can take it as a compliment that they feel so secure at home!

I have lived with clutter for years, and never realised how much it could affect one's emotional state. I am still naturally quite untidy, but I really noticed it when I Kondoed the bedroom !!!8211; I sleep much better when it's a calm, clear space. I try to keep that room under control, and do the rest of the house as and when I can. It is much easier now that everything has a place.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh for heaven's sake. OH was planning on spending this evening researching new insurance companies. He's just had somebody run in the back of him for the second time this year whilst waiting at a junction. The renewal had gone up £70, will probably go up again now. Runs out on Thursday. That'll push my insurance up as well when I renew.

What is it with people, don't they look at what is in front of them before pulling away? It's the 4th time he's been hit from behind (and no, it's not him starting to move off and then slamming the brakes on, or hesitating before pulling out!).
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just spoken to OH again, he was in the right hand filter lane at a set of lights, the main lights turned green but the road was not clear for OH to turn right, and the chap behind saw the green and took off.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,960 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I am the same with feeling overwhelmed by my environment. My DD also boomeranged back and she is a clutterbug. It is mostly confined to her room but occasionally strays. Add DS's uni stuff coming back for the summer into the mix and it is all a bit stressful. Hence the reason i'm back :D

I try to keep my bedroom and bathroom, the lounge and kitchen / diner tidy and leave them to their own squalor with dire warnings of any permanent consequences (i.e. carpet moth, which we have had once - although that wasn't down to the children).

Oh and my study is kept tidy after all the problems with the drains so that is now sacred.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »

his 'study/office' is a dumping ground for all sorts of his clut.

I am married to his twin!!:rotfl: Except we share an office/ study:o I too regularly trawl and throw through stuff he hasn't looked at for years - recently sold a load of 'his' books on Z!ffit........he hasn't noticed....but then neither has he notice the clutter I have got rid of over the last 3 years which he complained was all mine and in the way:mad::mad:
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have prohibited dds and dh to use the windowsill, tv cupboard and top of the room divider for any of their stuff. Those shelves have eiter nothing or a few decorative items on them, and I want to keep them that way. I would prefer to not have to be this strict, but it is the only thing that works. DDs do not really care where their toys are and see the whole house as their play area, dh complains the house is messy and then puts his stuff in the first available place (on those shelves!). :mad: And then has a major clearing/ clearing session once a month complaining I do not do anything.... I don't even respond anymore, it's useless.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 30 July 2018 at 6:38PM
    Options
    VJsmum wrote: »
    I am the same with feeling overwhelmed by my environment. My DD also boomeranged back and she is a clutterbug. It is mostly confined to her room but occasionally strays. Add DS's uni stuff coming back for the summer into the mix and it is all a bit stressful. Hence the reason i'm back :D

I try to keep my bedroom and bathroom, the lounge and kitchen / diner tidy and leave them to their own squalor with dire warnings of any permanent consequences (i.e. carpet moth, which we have had once - although that wasn't down to the children).

Oh and my study is kept tidy after all the problems with the drains so that is now sacred.

I thought DD1 would 'boomerang' back this summer after her winter in the alps but she decided to stay there - did come home for a week and dump all her winter gear:o To be fair before she left for the winter she did have a mahoosive clear out. DD2 is back for the summer with BF in tow - they are both working all summer at the same place - so any space I had created is now crammed with their gear but at least its only temporary until they return to university:D

Have to say its the first summer in a few years I havent started with a clearing of the clutter - its just a steady flow out now - everytime I see something it just gets popped in a bag or box until its full and then its to the CS or recycle centre. Also Fr88cycle has been a god send - lots of bits and pieces gone this week:)
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure