We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

What to do with climber on south east facing wall (with pic)

Options
silvercar
silvercar Posts: 46,962 Ambassador
Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
edited 17 January 2018 at 11:08PM in Gardening
I have this climber

on an south east facing wall.

Yellows coloured flowers on new growth in Summet.

It’s been hacked in the past and now the first 2-3 foot is only woody growth, that looks ugly. Also the middle section grows outward rather than upward. Any suggestion how I can reshape this? Should I cut it right back?
I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Picture's gone now, but it looked like a honeysuckle to me.

When they get old like that, my approach is kill or cure. I would cut it hard back and expect it to rejuvenate, but nothing lives forever and my expectations aren't always matched by reality!

But every lost plant is a fresh opportunity.....and for me, a potential sale! :D
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,962 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Picture's gone now, but it looked like a honeysuckle to me.

When they get old like that, my approach is kill or cure. I would cut it hard back and expect it to rejuvenate, but nothing lives forever and my expectations aren't always matched by reality!

But every lost plant is a fresh opportunity.....and for me, a potential sale! :D

Sorry, I took the pic down for privacy.

If I want to cut it back, do I cut out the first 3 foot that is totally woody? Or will that kill it off?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I would take it down to about 40cm and then wait to see what buds appear when spring arrives. If there are plenty, it could then go down further so that it's sprouting from near the base.

If none appear.....well, you'll not take too much notice of anything I say in the future!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure