PRA Group Chasing for 18yr Debt

Options
13»

Comments

• Dels
    Options
    Hi. I keep having messages left from PRA group for my son. I believe they are chasing a debt which is over 6 years old. He has checked his credit rating and nothing shows. This is my house and my son only uses it for the odd bit of post. He moved out some 10 years ago and my details has nothing to do with his debt. I have emailed PRA and advised they have the wrong details but I'm scared of engaging with them in case they start harassing me more. I have never had debt so this is distressing me. Any advice would be welcome please.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,517 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Dels wrote: »
    Hi. I keep having messages left from PRA group for my son. I believe they are chasing a debt which is over 6 years old. He has checked his credit rating and nothing shows. This is my house and my son only uses it for the odd bit of post. He moved out some 10 years ago and my details has nothing to do with his debt. I have emailed PRA and advised they have the wrong details but I'm scared of engaging with them in case they start harassing me more. I have never had debt so this is distressing me. Any advice would be welcome please.

See if you can block their phone number
  • Dels
    Options
    I'm worried they have it against my address somehow. Do you think that would resolve it though? If they can't get through?
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,517 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Dels wrote: »
    I'm worried they have it against my address somehow. Do you think that would resolve it though? If they can't get through?

If they had your address they would write, and then you could respond.

Phone calls and emails should be treated with the contempt they deserve.
  • Dels
    Options
    Thank you! That is a bit more reassuring. I'll see if the respond to my email, although I did say I won't engage with them as they have the wrong person. Thanks for your help.
  • MercyMee
    Options
    Hi All.
    I have received a few phone calls lately from PRA Group. Didn't answer the call, but they left an automated phone call stating my name and asking me to call them on a 0800 number. I have no idea what they want. Is there a way i can contact them to ask what they want without phoning or writing to them? I could email, but what would I say?
    Many thanks.
  • Just_Di
    Just_Di Posts: 385 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    MercyMee wrote: »
    I have received a few phone calls lately from PRA Group. Didn't answer the call, but they left an automated phone call stating my name and asking me to call them on a 0800 number. I have no idea what they want. Is there a way i can contact them to ask what they want without phoning or writing to them? I could email, but what would I say? .

If PRA have a genuine enquiry they can write to you. I see no reason for you to contact them.

The phone calls will stop eventually.

In the meantime block their number if you can.

Di
  • TynePuma
    Options
    Good Afternoon all,

I have received several letters from PRA Group regarding a debt of £333.30 with a Agreement date of 22 July 2011. I cannot remembers the debt if in fact I took it at all and after spending a few hours looking about this site and others think I can go down the Status Barred option. Now I live in Scotland and wondered how I stand. Does the 6 years rule apply in Scotland or where can I find a sample letter with all the legal jargon I can send to them. Any help would be much appreciated! Many Thanks
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,893 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 14 January 2019 at 2:14PM
    Options
    TynePuma wrote: »
    Good Afternoon all,

I have received several letters from PRA Group regarding a debt of £333.30 with a Agreement date of 22 July 2011. I cannot remembers the debt if in fact I took it at all and after spending a few hours looking about this site and others think I can go down the Status Barred option. Now I live in Scotland and wondered how I stand. Does the 6 years rule apply in Scotland or where can I find a sample letter with all the legal jargon I can send to them. Any help would be much appreciated! Many Thanks

Hi,

The limitations period in Scotland is 5 years, so if you have not paid or acknowledged this debt since 2011, it will be extinguished under Scottish law, a quick letter to that effect (see below) to PRA group should put this to bed once and for all.

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/S/sampleletters/Pages/Time-has-run-out-to-recover-the-debt-(sole-name).aspx
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure