PRA Group Chasing for 18yr Debt

Options

Comments

• Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi Paul,

You've jumped on the tail-end of an older thread -so might be worth starting one of your own. But anyways, as far as I understand the 'statute barred' rules -the 6 year clock starts ticking from the point you last acknowledged the debt. So the last payment made, or last piece of contact between you and the original creditor or the then DCA. PRA have clearly bought up some old debts and are working their way through them. There was also a link to a 'proveit' template provided above, so maybe send that off to PRA.

Whatever else you do - don't acknowledge ownership, that's there job -but I think this sits in the 'statute barred' domain.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,517 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Just to be clear, there are two ways you can 'acknowledge' a debt - by payment or in writing, by you or someone acting for you.

Phone calls do not count

Letters from the creditor do not count

If in writing, there must be a clear inference that you accept this is your debt, so a 'prove-it' for instance would not count.

The six year period is a limit for when they can start a court claim, so if they start a claim in this period, that's the end of your protection under these rules.
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    It's also worth remembering that once a debt is statute barred, it cannot be 'unbarred'.

That means once a debt becomes statute barred, nothing you do such as making a payment or acknowledging the debt will reverse the matter.

But many DCA's will try to say different.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • Chelseablue82
    Options
    Great info on this thread, I've also had a letter from PRA on Thursday. Claim to be chasing a CC debt from 2006 I paid off using a company that managed a lot of my debts in one single monthly payment.

I sent the standard letter but they have replied asking for my post code (it's on my letter!!) And my Date of Birth.

I don't really want to provide them with this info but they're using data protection to insist on it.

Any ideas of my next move?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,893 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Great info on this thread, I've also had a letter from PRA on Thursday. Claim to be chasing a CC debt from 2006 I paid off using a company that managed a lot of my debts in one single monthly payment.

I sent the standard letter but they have replied asking for my post code (it's on my letter!!) And my Date of Birth.

I don't really want to provide them with this info but they're using data protection to insist on it.

Any ideas of my next move?

Hi,

They have a duty to make sure they are conversing with the right person, there is no harm in giving the details they asked for, if you want the matter resolving.

Are you sure the debt management company you used actually passed on any of the payments you made, as lots don`t, do you have statements ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    As the debt dates back to 2006, in all probability the debt is statute barred. Have you made any payment or acknowledged the debt in writing since 2012? If not, then it is SB.

Additionally, I wouldn't supply them with your date of birth.

Send them the statute barred letter:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=34906257&postcount=5
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • Chelseablue82
    Options
    I have sent them a SB letter and this was their reply. The debt is regards a credit card from Halifax but I've checked my credit score and this debt isn't listed anywhere.

Additionally it's for the bank that I still bank with so it's not like they would have trouble chasing me themselves for this debt!

If I go into my bank to enquire into the debt would that help?
  • Chelseablue82
    Options
    I may still have statements but unsure. With regards to the dob I'm loathed to give them any additional info if they're chancers!
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,893 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I have sent them a SB letter and this was their reply. The debt is regards a credit card from Halifax but I've checked my credit score and this debt isn't listed anywhere.

Additionally it's for the bank that I still bank with so it's not like they would have trouble chasing me themselves for this debt!

If I go into my bank to enquire into the debt would that help?
    I may still have statements but unsure. With regards to the dob I'm loathed to give them any additional info if they're chancers!

Hi,

If the debt is with your current bank, they have the right to take the balance owing from any credit balance you hold with them in other accounts, this is called the right of set off, its not something commonly used, but it is a possibility you should be aware of.

Staff at branch level will be of no use in this matter, these decisions are taken way above there grade, to save time and effort, i would simply email the statute barred letter to them, including reference numbers etc and tell them they were happy to write to you in the first place chasing the debt so they should have no trouble accepting this.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Hi everyone,
    This thread was super helpful. Many thanks.
    I'd been getting calls from PRA Group and ignoring them for several months. They went quiet for a little while but then started leaving me automated voicemails without actually calling me. I continued to ignore them for weeks until the voicemails became so frequent I was starting to lose my mind! So eventually I relinquished.
    After a quick google I found this thread and choose to send the statute barred letter. However, the letter requires an account number, so I called PRA Group to obtain my account number. As soon as I told the agent the magic words 'statute barred' she cancelled my debt there and then, and said I don't need to send the letter at all. That was just now, so I wait to see whether the voicemails will actually stop, but I'm hopeful.
    The moral of the story: go straight to the statute barred letter (after checking eligibility), send the letter, or send it via email, or simply call.
    Contact details easily found on their website (I can't post a url as a new user)
    Thanks again and enjoy saving everyone :) :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport