Does having Aspergers Syndrome qualify you for Disability Allowance

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
8 replies 4.2K views
ingloriusinglorius Forumite
158 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
I was diagnosed with Aspergers about 2 years ago, would I qualify for any disability benefits from the government or is this just for people with severe physical or mental handicaps?

Replies

• p00hsticksp00hsticks Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    inglorius wrote: »
    I was diagnosed with Aspergers about 2 years ago, would I qualify for any disability benefits from the government or is this just for people with severe physical or mental handicaps?

PIP (Personal Independence Allowance), which has replaced DLA (Disability Living Allowance) is awarded based on how your day to day life is affected by your disability, not on the grounds of a diagnosis of a specific condition.

So you need to look at how Aspergers affects you using the PIP criteria

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system
  • AmesAmes Forumite
    18.5K Posts
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    PIP (Personal Independence Allowance), which has replaced DLA (Disability Living Allowance) is awarded based on how your day to day life is affected by your disability, not on the grounds of a diagnosis of a specific condition.

So you need to look at how Aspergers affects you using the PIP criteria

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system

I agree with this, but also see if the NAS has any guides to PIP. The descriptors aren't as straightforward as they seem, and someone with Aspergers in particular might struggle with the nuances.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    13.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the above posts. I'd advice you to do this quick PIP self test, this will give you some understanding of the descriptors and points scoring. If you do score points, it's just a guide and doesn't mean that's what you'll score during an assessment. You'll allso need evidence to prove the descriptor apply to you.

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php
  • I've just tried the online test, I scored 2 points maximum which is nowhere near the threshold for consideration. I guess does that mean my disability doesn't count in the government's eyes.
  • tomtom256tomtom256 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I've just tried the online test, I scored 2 points maximum which is nowhere near the threshold for consideration. I guess does that mean my disability doesn't count in the government's eyes.

No it doesn't mean you do not have a disability, just that you cannot claim any money for said disability.
  • BucksLadyBucksLady Forumite
    567 Posts
    ✭✭

Asperger's Syndrome is a spectrum condition and so affects people differently. Whether someone would qualify for benefits would depend upon the severity of the condition.
  • w06w06 Forumite
    917 Posts
    I've just tried the online test, I scored 2 points maximum which is nowhere near the threshold for consideration. I guess does that mean my disability doesn't count in the government's eyes.

No it doesn't mean the government, or anybody else, doesn't count your disability.

The assessment looks at which areas you need help with (if you're talking about PIP) rather than the diagnosis and everyone has to reach a threshold of need, according to the assessment, before they're entitled to PIP.
  • It all depends on which aspects of everyday life you struggle with, whether you need support with some things etc. Many people diagnosed with Asperger's need very little, if any, extra support in terms of being able to look after themselves, go to work etc. Other people may need a lot more support. As autism is such a spectrum each person is different, especially now that many professionals are not giving the Asperger's diagnosis any more in favour of the more general ASD.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals