Buying a car in England

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
12 replies 2.7K views
hardtimeshardtimes Forumite
345 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
Hi
Just looking for ideas on cheapest way to bring a car from England back to NI?
Thanks

Replies

• MilkoMilko Forumite
    658 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    If you don't need it back by a specific date, then getting some of the car transporter guys to lift it for you is always a good option. Basically when they've an empty or (space available) lorry returning you get them to lift the car for you. Used to be around £200 - £300 but haven't checked in some time.
    CCRS in Bangor
    Woodsides in ?
    McGimpseys in Bangor

Personally, I prefer to fly over & drive back via Cairnryan. Could also work out less expensive depending on flight & ferry prices. You also get a good drive in the car to test it out.
  • edited 14 January 2018 at 1:53PM
    ballyblackballyblack Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 January 2018 at 1:53PM
    Try to buy a car with manufactutrers warranty remaining. Long way to bring it back to fix stuff.

If you are buying private I assume you know all the pitfalls, con artists out there?

If your driving it back need to be insured and taxed

• RikMRikM Forumite
    763 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    The last time I did it, they delivered the car to Cairnryan port, and I took it from there. That was buying ex-lease, with an AA inspection, mind you. I don't think I would have risked it otherwise.

So I had to factor one passenger ride and one car crossing into the delivery.

That was also prior to the current taxing regime, I'm not clear how it would work now (can you tax online immediately?).
  • suki1964suki1964 Forumite
    14.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We use Parkers in Ballycastle. It depends where abouts in England as to cost. Getting one over this week from Kent and it's £300
  • motorguymotorguy Forumite
    21.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last time i did it, i used Woodsides. I think i paid around £200 door to do but that was some years ago. It took about a week to 10 days.

"Safest" way, is as has already been pointed out, to buy a car still under manufacturers warranty.

Alternatively Charles Hurst are owned by Lookers and Agnew Group by Sytners so their warranty would be transferable to the local dealers here (but check first!).
  • I bought an Audi in a private sale last year in England. Got a flight to England picked the car up and got the Liverpool boat back. Cost me less than 200 all in but i got really cheap flight and a deal on the boat.
  • Fly in and drive back.stena etc do good deals if you ring them, rather than online.
  • qwert_yuiopqwert_yuiop Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    How much could you expect to save on a run of the mill car? Has anyone any figures?

I hear a lot of talk about a car Supermarket in Manchester.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • motorguymotorguy Forumite
    21.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much could you expect to save on a run of the mill car? Has anyone any figures?

I hear a lot of talk about a car Supermarket in Manchester.

You can do a nationwide search on Autotrader, as well as a local search, so from there you can see how variance there is for any given car.

Some cars are a bit cheaper, some are a bit more expensive. It can be regional across the length of the mainland too.
  • qwert_yuiopqwert_yuiop Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    motorguy wrote: »
    You can do a nationwide search on Autotrader, as well as a local search, so from there you can see how variance there is for any given car.

Some cars are a bit cheaper, some are a bit more expensive. It can be regional across the length of the mainland too.

So no consistent major price advantage?
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Virgin Media & O2 launch Volt

Aims to boost mobile data & broadband speeds

MSE News

Cheap pet insurance

Top comparisons & hot deals

MSE Guides