On less pay than colleagues doing exact same job

Options

Comments

• stuartJo1989
    Options
    inglorius wrote: »
    I'll be totally honest with you in the years I've been managing I've never had a member of staff approach me about their pay compared to other members of staff so have never dealt with this scenario.

Fair enough like, but what I quoted from you is something which has been said to me and was really intimidating at the time.

I don't always see eye to eye with sangie (not in a bad way), but that resonated with me.
    I can say that many moons ago I wasn't given my contractual holiday entitlement as HR had made a mistake when issuing my contract on joining the business. When I approached my line manager about this their response was why should you get more holidays then everyone else? They then reissued my contract with what should have been the correct number of holidays .

I'll let you consider how I felt after this.

Yea well, I don't like their response BUT if an error has been made then that's that. Just accept it! There's a difference between a genuine mistake and being nasty to employees.

Not downplaying your thoughts at the time, though, but in contrast the only real grievance about my ex employer is the pay rate and our discussion about it amounting to what I quoted you as saying.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Please provide where I used the words threaten or intimidate? You then cast your own personal aspersions about my management style. Where did I mention threatening or intimidating anyone in my post. Stick to the facts not your own personal bias.
    I think you have already demonstrated my point quite nicely, thank you, in your responses to other posters here. But since you ask....
    If a new member of staff came to see me complaining that they had found out one of their peers was on more money then them and they wanted parity it would be the shortest conversation in the history of humanity.

I would ask them however how they came by this information if staff are openly discussing their pay rates with each other

How do you intend to make it the shortest conversation in the history of humanity? You know exactly what you meant by that. There is no other interpretation to put on that comment. It very certainly doesn't mean that you would sit down and have a reasonable conversation with someone, or consider their point of view. It means that you would, at best, throw them out. Possibly dismiss them. That is threatening and intimidation - bullying, in other words.

You then went on to say that you would ask them how they came by this information if staff were openly discussing their pay with each other.. Goodness this shortest conversation is getting awfully long isn't it? Why would you ask them this, exactly? It is perfectly legal to discuss what you earn, and so there is no point at all in asking. The answer is actually in the question - they were talking to each other. You don't think they should? What are you going to do about it then? And there you are... the implied threat that you are going to do something about it.
  • Naf
    Naf Posts: 3,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If a new member of staff came to see me complaining that they had found out one of their peers was on more money then them and they wanted parity it would be the shortest conversation in the history of humanity.

But that's not what I said, is it. There are more words there than the ones you appear to have read.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
  • inglorius
    inglorius Posts: 158 Forumite
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »
    I think you have already demonstrated my point quite nicely, thank you, in your responses to other posters here. But since you ask....

I would ask them however how they came by this information if staff are openly discussing their pay rates with each other

How do you intend to make it the shortest conversation in the history of humanity? You know exactly what you meant by that. There is no other interpretation to put on that comment. It very certainly doesn't mean that you would sit down and have a reasonable conversation with someone, or consider their point of view. It means that you would, at best, throw them out. Possibly dismiss them. That is threatening and intimidation - bullying, in other words.

You then went on to say that you would ask them how they came by this information if staff were openly discussing their pay with each other.. Goodness this shortest conversation is getting awfully long isn't it? Why would you ask them this, exactly? It is perfectly legal to discuss what you earn, and so there is no point at all in asking. The answer is actually in the question - they were talking to each other. You don't think they should? What are you going to do about it then? And there you are... the implied threat that you are going to do something about it.

I admire your persistence I will give you that much. Please quote where I used the words "threaten" or "intimidate" for the 3rd time of asking.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I admire your persistence I will give you that much. Please quote where I used the words "threaten" or "intimidate" for the 3rd time of asking.

I read your post as threatening and if you took that attitude with some of my colleagues they would happily invite you outside the premises to discuss it further.

Look in the mirror mate. Your problems all appear to be self made.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • inglorius
    Options
    nicechap wrote: »
    I read your post as threatening and if you took that attitude with some of my colleagues they would happily invite you outside the premises to discuss it further.

Look in the mirror mate. Your problems all appear to be self made.

Now what you've posted there is threatening, invite someone outside to discuss it further?
  • nicechap
    Options
    Nice deflection, again shows your inability to understand how your behaviours are seen by colleagues.
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • inglorius
    Options
    Nice deflection, again shows your inability to understand how your behaviours are seen by colleagues.

If your attitude is to take your manager outside for a discussion in the car park when they tell you something you may not agree with then it's not my behaviour which is in question here.
  • nicechap
    Options
    Comprehension is obviously not your strong suit. Probably explains quite a few of your threads.

Maybe you need to take a step down from your current role before you embarrass yourself more.
  • inglorius
    Options
    Comprehension is obviously not your strong suit. Probably explains quite a few of your threads.

Maybe you need to take a step down from your current role before you embarrass yourself more.

I understand totally what you said, let me refresh your memory:- quote if you took that attitude with some of my colleagues they would happily invite you outside the premises to discuss it further unquote. Physical intimidation/violence?

Maybe you need to consider what you are typing before you embarrass yourself further.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure